fifteen

Keep Breathing by Ingrid Michaelson

04/05/21

"I go to the states next week." Will said, standing in my doorway.

"Oh, that's a surprise." I said, letting him come inside.

"It's been planned for a while, Ive just been so busy I didn't know how to tell you" He rambled.

"It's fine, Will. Jeremiah's been okay recently, no need to fret about." I said with a smile. He looked at me with mass amounts of doubt, and I knew he could see through the facade, but it's fine.

"I just wanted to tell you before I left. It's a seven hour time difference so like, always call if you need me, but I don't want you to think I'm avoiding you or anything." He rambled.

"Will. Listen to me. I promise it's fine." I said, resting my hands on his biceps. He relaxed a bit and sighed.

"Sorry, I'm just a tad panicked." He laughed out.

"That's alright." I comforted. "Wanna talk about it?"

"Yes and no." He said, running a hand through his hair and taking a nervous breath.

I could see the moment his panic attack set in. I could see the fear ebb in his eyes as he tried to hide his panicked breaths.

"Hey, hey. Look at me, Will. Everything is going to be fine. Look at me." I said, standing on my toes so I could rest my hands on his cheeks. They were warm and I realized how red his face was. I knew he wasn't blushing, but he was panicking that badly. "Just keep looking at me. Follow my breathing and feel my heartbeat."

I placed his hand on my chest so he could feel my heartbeat. He exhaled shakily through his nose as his eyes remained on me.

"You're gonna be okay. The feeling will pass. Just breathe through it right now, okay? Let's focus on just that for right now." I said softly, keeping his eyes locked on mine as one hand stayed on his face and the other was placed over top of his.

"I can't." Will gasped.

"You can. Just focus on me, Will. Focus on me and just me. It's only me and you. It's just us."

He took a shaky breath as his eyes stayed on mine.

"Wanna go to the couch?" I asked, swiping my thumb across his cheeks. He nodded and I fell back onto my heels and laced his hand with mine as we walked to the couch.

I sat down and he followed suit. He laid down and rested his head in my lap. I ran my hands through his hair as he calmed down. After a few minutes, he grabbed my hand and clung to it. I didn't mind, I just resumed playing with his hair with my free hand.

A few hours later, Stephanie walked in the door and I immediately brought my finger to my lips to ensure she wouldn't be loud. She nodded with a soft smile. I resumed playing with Will's hair as he slept.

"He okay?" Steph asked, sitting on the arm of the couch next to me and kissing the top of my head.

"Yeah, he just got worked up over something." I whispered, smiling up at her. "He's going to the states."

"Oh, wow." She said with shock. "For how long?"

"Not sure, I assume a few weeks or something." I responded, keeping my eyes now trained on him.

"Do you know why he's worked up?" She asked me. I shook my head and she hummed in thought. "Alright, well i'm gonna shower. Order dinner tonight?"

"I can't, money is so tight right now."

"What about the money Will pays you once a week?" She joked.

"It's all in my apple pay so I know I can pay it all back."

"Girl, thats literal months of payments." She laughed quietly.

"Shut up." I laughed back.

"Then dinner's on me. Count it as a leaving party for Will." She said with a wink before walking down the hallway. I sighed.

What am i going to do without Will?