prologue

Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World

07/01/20

"I stand before you all today to tell you about the life and the soul that was Harold Davis. He was a son, a brother, a friend, and a father; my father. He was the person who tucked me in at night and fought the closet monster. He taught me how to hotwire a car if absolutely necessary. He taught me self defense. He taught me that it's okay to not be a girly girl. He taught me how to change a tire. He taught me that being upset was okay, as long as it did not control me. He said to control my emotion, not to let them control me. He taught me so many things, and yet the one he never taught me how to do was live without him. He taught me how a woman is supposed to be treated. He taught me what a healthy and loving relationship was. He taught me how a child is supposed to be nurtured. He taught me that life is hard. He taught me that teenage boys are never what they seem. He taught me all of these useful things. None of them are how to live without him, and that's something i will never be able to learn. Harold Jameson Davis was a man of many things and a horrible person was something he could never be labeled. He took care of his kids. He loved his wife. He was always available as support for his parents and siblings. His heart was as pure as they come and to think he's just gone hurts so much more than one could imagine. As much as I defied him on this, his little girl wants him back. And if i were to wait for the day i don't want him back, i'd be waiting a life time. There's not much you guys don't know about him. You all know him in your own point of views. Harold Davis was a man of many talents, and his presence will be greatly missed. Forever and always, Dad."

I whispered the end sentence of my written eulogy. Wet tears dripped down my face and onto the paper. I physically couldn't handle this amount of pain.

I heard footsteps walk onto the stage and as soon as I heard my brother's voice and felt his arms around me I collapsed into him and broke into silent sobs. I gripped the material of his suit as he held me and dragged me off stage. Me being the only daughter of my father gave us a special bond. I don't mean this in any way to be rude, but my brother's wouldn't be able to feel the bond me and my father had. My father was close with all of his children and none of us were his favourite nor did any of us feel as though he had favourites. But each of our bonds were different.

He bonded with Luke on soccer. He bonded with Tyson on books. He bonded with Matteo on fishing. He bonded with me, Harmony, on music and cars. I know it seems like i was the favourite, but i really wasn't.

My brother lead me to the bench we were previously sat on before I spoke. I was trying to be strong for my mother and my family, but I simply couldn't. I miss him with my entire being. I had healed from his passing a few weeks ago. Or at least, the wound was scabbed over. It was as if everything was all fresh and new. It hurt, a lot.

The funeral droned on with more and more pain added. After it was finished, we had a small family gathering to celebrate his life. While I wanted to stay, me and my brothers were taking the train back to my home in Portslade. I moved away from home the night after I found out he passed away. I couldn't handle being around everyone and since everything was still optionally virtual, i switched my university courses to an online version of them. I was moved out in a matter of days and said goodbye to my family. My friend Stephanie moved in with me to help me during this period of time. Me and Steph spent those nights getting drunk and falling behind in our classes and just being crazy young adults living their life. And when I got the call from my mom that my Dean had called her and she told me in that call that i had to be home for this, I didn't want to come home. I didn't want to face reality. But I knew I had to, I had no choice.

Now we're here. Now I'm crying on the train ride back to my home with my three brothers asleep. Matteo's head was in my lap, Luke's head was on my shoulder, and Tyson was leaning on Luke. Luke and Tyson were the eldest. Matteo and I were the youngest. Luke was 24, Tyson was 23, I was 22, and Matteo is about to turn 21. Because we were so close in age, each just over a year apart, we were all very close. They were all equally protective of me.

After a long hour ride on the train, it stopped in Nottingham. A lot of people filed in at once, but one stood out to me. He had brown curly hair that was covered by a beanie. He wore jeans and a t-shirt with a jacket over top. The man looked exhausted and sat in the seat directly across from me.

"You mind if i take this seat, seems to be some of the only spots available?" He asked, his accent laced with exhaustion. I looked around and saw a few more seats open, but only this row across from me had nobody else in it.

"I don't mind." I said with a small smile. My voice was hoarse from the lack of talking since i gave my eulogy.

"Seem to have a handful, i assume they are your friends?"

"My brothers actually. Two older one younger." I replied with a small smile. i glanced around the train that was now departing from the Nottingham station. Not many people got off, but a lot came on.

"Where you headed?" He asked, pulling me from my thoughts.

"Portslade, and you?"

"All the way from Nottingham? Though you were already on the train when i got on."

"From Sheffield. Going back to my apartment from visiting where i used to live."

"Ah, fancy. I'm going to Brighton, to answer your question, M'Lady."

We talked for the entirety of the train. It took such a long fucking time. He kept me company and Matteo even woke up and joined in a conversation with me. This time i leaned on him for support.

"This is my stop. Hopefully i see you again, Miss." He said kindly. I smiled and waved as he walked off of the train. I laid on Matteo and he ran his fingers through my hair, quickly allowing me to drift into a deep sleep.