thirty-four

Home by Phillip Phillips

11/24/21

I was the definition of sleep deprived when walking through the airport. My hair was a mess, my eyes were heavy, my body was shaky and tired. I could barely stand upright without leaning on Will for support. He, by the way, is perfectly fine. He looks full of life and he's smiling and theres an extra spring in his step. Meanwhile i look like I need to be in a morgue.

"Get on my back." Will said, stopping and setting down the bags. I wasn't in the mood for a back and forth, so when he crouched down I got on his back without a fight. He carried the bags and me to the doors where I saw a very tall person I didn't recognize.

"Who's that?" I whispered, laying my chin on his shoulder as my eyes closed every few seconds.

"That's Xavier, you watched him graduate." He whispered back.

"Okay." I whispered with a small nod.

"Need a hand?" Xavier asked. His voice was deep, but not extremely. I was too tired to care though. I was nodding off on Will's back as they talked and walked to the car.

"You okay?" Will whispered as he set me down on the ground. I nodded with a yawn and waited for him to get in the car before I did. Once we were all settled, we were on the road to a hotel.

"So, who's the girl?" Xavier asked after the car had fell into silence.

"My friend, Harmony." Will answered.

"Best friend." I piped up, words slurred with exhaustion.

"Yes, best friend." Will chuckled out, running a hand through my hair. My head was laid in his lap, legs tucked into my chest so I fit on the seat properly. "You hear from Ash recently?"

"No." Xavier said. Something about the way he said it told me he was lying, but who am I to analyze this man?

"Liar." Will said. Guess he sensed it too.

"Am not." He lied again. He's so easy to read.

"You know I won't drop it until I hear the truth." Will said. I could imagine the smile on his face.

"Fine, we don't like, talk. But I have heard from her, I guess. Can we drop it?" He asked. I could tell the topic was hard for him.

"Yeah." Will said softly. The rest of the car ride was silent. No talking. No music. Just the hum of the engine and the whoosh of the passing cars. His fingers ran through my hair like there was nothing else in the world he could be doing. I could have fallen asleep had I not been anxious about not knowing anything about my whereabouts.

The car finally came to a halt about an hour or so later. I stayed in the same position, unmoving from the comfortable feeling that always washes over me when im with Will.

"I'll help you take the bags up. You just need to check into the room and everything." Xavier said, turning around from the driver seat.

"That means you have to get up, love." Will said, tapping my scalp with his finger softly.

"No." I whispered, reaching up and grabbing Will's hand.

"Love." He chuckled softly.

"Fuck you." I whispered, closing my eyes as i held his hand in front of my face. He sighed softly and the car filled with silence once more. The soft humming of the car stopped and i could feel the car shake with movement.

"I can carry you if-"

"Fine, i'll get up." I said, releasing his hand and sitting up. I glared playfully at him and he just smiled at me.

"Come on, we can sleep in the hotel room." Will said softly. I nodded and following him out of the car. Xavier carried our things upstairs with the help of Will. I tried to help, but they both walked past me like I didn't exist so I didnt fight and just lagged behind.

We got checked in and Xavier bid his goodbye. As doin as the door was shut, i fell face first into the bed. Will laughed at me but I brushed it off and moved up towards the pillows before bringing my knees to my chest and shutting my eyes.

He sat down next to me after a few moments and lifted me softly so he could lay next to me. I laud my head on his chest snd threw an arm over his torso.

"We need to unpack." I mumbled, exhaling softly afterward. It was like all of my stress and anxiety was disappearing by just being close to him.

"We can unpack later. Go to sleep, Harmony." He whispered softly, running his fingers through my hair. Despite everything that had yet to be done that needed to be done, i drifted off peacefully and couldn't be more thankful for the man of whom has done everything in his power to make me feel okay.