forty-two

Castle on the Hill by Ed Sheeran

01/02/22

I walked in the house and immediately walked upstairs. I barged into Luke's room and he looked at me with a startled gaze.

"Steph is hysterical in my car but I don't have the mental brain power to help her right now, can you please help her and take her to get ice cream or something?" I rambled quickly, throwing my keys at him. "I'll explain it all later if she doesn't I just- I need a few minutes."

"I got it, go." He said, standing up and walking past me. He doubled back to kiss the side of my head before rushing out the door. I closed his door and walked into my room.

"Harm-"

"I mean this in the most loving way ever, but shut up. Please don't talk." I said quietly, pressing my palms into my temples, trying to keep myself from crying.

Silence spread around the room as he waited for me to say something, anything. Minutes passed as we just sat in silence. I'm not sure how long it was, but it felt like forever. I somehow made it to the floor in the midst of my breakdown.

I walked to the bed and sat down in front of him. It took me another few minutes to find my voice, but eventually things came together.

"Steph's mom, remember how I said she doesn't like me?" I asked, looking up at Will as I took a deep breath.

"I do." He whispered, resting a hand on my knee.

"She vindictively asked me how my dad was doing and Steph got pissed off and cussed out her parents."

"I heard that part." Will said, a sad smile on his face.

"I feel terrible for just leaving Steph in the car when she was in hysterics, but I couldn't handle all of it at once." I whispered.

"Come here." Will said. I moved closer to him and he pulled me onto his lap. He laid my head on his shoulder and just held me. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I felt tears roll down my face.

"Love, you need to focus on yourself sometimes. I know for a fact, Stephanie understands and I'm sure she was in the same position. She needed to take time for herself instead of worrying about you." He said, keeping my body as close as possible. "Why don't we go on a walk? I know they calm you down sometimes."

I nodded and he goofed off while getting dressed for the cold outside, making me laugh at his antics.

"Follow me, M'lady." He said, extending a hand. I grabbed it and we walked down the stairs and through my kitchen.

"Wait wait wait, what's this? Little Harmony in a cast?!" Will asked incredulously. He grabbed the picture frame from the counter and held it close to his face.

"I broke my leg playing tag with my brothers. It was Matteo's birthday and we were all running around and i tripped over a branch and it was a downward spiral from there." I laughed.

"It was embarrassing!" Matteo yelled from the living room.

"You were turning five, Matteo!" I screamed back, "You remember jack shit!"

"Don't cuss at your brother, Harmony." My mom said from behind me.

"Sorry, Momma." I apologized. "We're gonna go on a walk. Luke and Steph should be back soon."

"Sam was a bitch again?" My mom asked me, a knowing tone in her voice.

"Alike every year. She's glad you're doin' alright though." I said, kissing her cheek lightly before leading Will out the door. We walked around the small forest behind my house and Will loved it.