thirty-six

Better Man by Taylor Swift

12/02/21

I pulled into the driveway, exhaling deeply after my back to back shifts from two of my jobs. I leaned my head back into the seat as my phone started ringing. I just let it buzz in the cupholder, needing some time to recharge after the longest sixteen hours of my life.

I turn the keys in the ignition, the humming of the car coming to a halt immediately. The music still played softly on the radio as I prepared myself for the exertion of energy it'd take to get out of my car, unlock the front door, re-lock it, change clothes, and crash in bed while ignoring the entire world around me.

With another huff of air, i opened the car door and grabbed everything i needed before going inside. I double checked that I had locked my car before walking to the front door. My entire body shook violently from both the cold and how fucking drained i am of energy. It took a while for me to get the key in the doorknob, but it seemed useless as the door opened in front of me anyway. I jumped back in fear.

Who the hell is in my damn house?

I looked up and saw brown curls and tired eyes. "I thought you only worked until four hours ago. Steph let me in before she left because I was worried about you and it was cold outside. She told me you picked up another shift and I just waited here for you. Come inside, were going to sleep."

Will's warm hand wrapped gently around my wrist and tugged me inside before grabbing my keys from the door and closing it, making sure to twist both locks. I didn't really say anything, I just wrapped my arms around his torso and let his warmth surround me as his arms immediately encased me and held me close.

"Im too tired to go upstairs." I whispered, my eyes closing as falling asleep standing up sounded so damn amazing.

"I brought you my clothes. You just have to take them to the bathroom. They've been warmed in the dryer." Will said, letting me go and gently pushing me in the direction of the bathroom. His hand on my lower back felt nice but as soon as it was taken off, i was in a desperate need of warmth. I grabbed the clothes off of the arm of the couch and walked to the bathroom.

The clothes consisted of his blue long sleeve that has a rainbow stripe across it with the embroidered Wilbur Soot in the corner, a pair of boxers that I know he bought me earlier because they're brand new, and a pair of his sweatpants I knew would hang off of me no matter how tight I pull the strings.

I put on the clothes and smiled at how much warmth they gave off. I took down my hair from it's deathly tight ponytail and sighed from relief when the strands were released from their tight confinements. I shook my head, loosening them more before walking out.

"What the fuck?!" I heard from down the hall. I ran out in sock-clad feet, leaving everything else stranded in the bathroom.

"Who's at the door?" I asked, unintentionally sliding on the floor and colliding with Will's body.

"Say the word and I'll punch him again." Will said, voice rasped as he spoke through a clenched jaw.

"Why is Jeremiah here?" I asked quietly, opening the door after the words were spoken. He's only ever this angry when Jeremiah is a topic of conversation.

"I wanted to talk and the prick punched me in the face!" Jeremiah yelled, holding his nose as he spoke. I tried to stifle a laugh.

"What? You're making my house cold. How did you even find my house?" I asked after realizing we broke up before I moved.

"It doesn't matter." He waved off, "I miss you, Harmony. I'm sorry for everything and I'll be better this time."

"I think it fucking does matter, how the hell did you find my house, Jeremiah?" I asked, standing in front of Will. He wrapped a protective arm around my waist as the other clenched and unclenched his fist in an angry manner.

"I followed you from work. Anyway-"

Will was quick to move and punch him again. I had to stifle another laugh as Jeremiah stumbled back.

"I have a better man, Jeremiah." I said, Will's arm slotting back into place around my waist as the other arm wraps around me and he pushes his face into my neck. He was both in need of the comfort because he's tired, and he loved pissing Jeremiah off.

"What the fuck ar-"

"Fuck off Jeremiah, Jesus. You can't claim to be a better man than admit to stalking me. I broke up with your broke ass for a reason. Get lost." I said, flipping him off before slamming the door in his face and making quick work of the locks with Will still latched onto me.

"Are you okay?" I asked, running a hand through the head of hair on my shoulder.

"Tired." He whispered.

"Let's lay down on the couch." I whispered back, walking to the couch. I guess my movements weren't fast enough because he picked me up and carried me to the couch. He laid on his back and pulled me on top of him.

"I love you." I whispered softly as my eyes closed, exhaustion finally taking over.

"I love you." Will whispered back.

one day he will be mine, i know it.