forty-three

invisible string by Taylor Swift

01/23/22

I swiveled around in my chair, listening to the people in my newly assigned Bio Class drone on about themselves.

"Harmony, would you like to go?" My teacher asked, staring into my soul through my computer. I'm so fucking glad i graduate in May and can finally just be done with college and have my degree in Psychology. I was going to go further, get my PhD, but I physically cant do this college shit anymore.

"Sure." I said, unmuting my microphone and smiling at the screen, "I'm Harmony Davis. I major in Psychology, I live in a house with my roommate, I listen to music the most in the time when I'm not working. That's kinda it, to be honest."

"Anything you think would be fun to learn in this class?" He asked. The glasses sat low on his nose and made it hard to not laugh at.

"I mean-"

"Harmony! Harm! We have such a big fucking problem!"

"Steph, can it wait?" I yelled back, hearing her loud footsteps outside the door.

"No! It can't because I might be pregnant with your brother's kid and-" She abruptly stopped talking as she slammed open my door, looking at the computer on my desk. "Yeah it can wait."

My door closed and I sighed.

"Fallon, how about you next?" My teacher said. I turned off my mic and rested my head against the wooden desk.

"Steph, come inside but hide from my camera! You can sit next to my desk." I yelled. Steph snuck into my room and sat on the floor. Her body was shaking and I could tell she was trying not to panic.

"We can talk about it after class, for now just play with the rings on my hand and try to calm down, okay?" I whispered, lowering my hand and she grabbed it quickly, twisting the rings around and around.

Class felt like the longest shithole ever and I hated every second that I couldn't calm my best friend down.

"And that's it you guys can log-"

I didn't wait for him to finish before leaving the meeting. I immediately got out of the gaming chair Tommy got me for Christmas and sat on the floor in front of her.

"Your period must be late, mine is too. Are you experiencing any symptoms or is it just your period?" I asked, pulling her body into mine and holding her as she trembled.

"Just my period being late." She whispered. My phone rang and I pulled it out of my back pocket.

Goldilocks wants to FaceTime...

I threw my phone down on the floor but Steph picked it up and answered it, immediately turning the camera off.

"Harm can't talk right now." Steph whispered. Her voice let off something was wrong, but it was not my place to tell Will a thing, so I let Stephanie handle this one.

"I can be there in five, Steph." Will said immediately, no hesitation.

"You don't need to, I just didn't want you to have a panic attack."

"I'll be over in five with your favorite stuff. I'll make some dinner for you and leave directly after if you want me to or I can stay. I'll let myself in and knock before entering Harmony's room." Will said before hanging up.

"Your boyfriend is so amazing." Stephanie laughed.

"I know. Why don't we get cozy in my bed, I'll ask Will to buy a pregnancy test just to make sure, and then we can binge watch Gilmore Girls. I can ask him to bring Izzy if you'd like or it can just be me and you."