thirty-eight

The Heart Wants What It Wants by Selena Gomez

12/22/21

It was nearing three in the morning, the only people left in the house were the people staying the night. Matteo and his boyfriend Nathaniel, Luke, Steph, Tom, Izzy, Me, and Will. There are only four bedrooms, but the basement is finished and is designated for Luke and Matteo.

We were spread about over the house, but the most of us were in Tyson's kitchen, lounging around and just talking. Tommy and Izzy were sitting at the table playing Uno with Will. Steph was in the bathroom, i think. Luke was making something to eat with Matteo with Tyson talking in his ear about how annoying the kids that come into the library are. Nathan and I were chatting about Luke's recent game while he was showering downstairs.

"Hey, can we talk?" Steph asked, walking up to me with a soft look in her eyes. I nodded and excused myself, grabbing Steph's hand and walking upstairs. I opened the door to my room and flipped the lights on before closing the door behind me.

"Im not mad-"

"I'm so sorry-"

We both spoke at the same time and stopped talking in unison. It was silent for a minute before we both started laughing. I sat on the bed and patted the spot next to me. She sat down and calmed her laughter.

"You can go first." I said with a small smile. She took a breath before looking at me. Tears lined eyes and I knew she was already thinking the wrong thing.

"I'm sorry, Harm. I didn't mean to hurt you or piss you off. If you dont want me to be with Luke, I get it. It'd never do anything to ever make you uncomfortable." She spoke softly, tears falling down her face.

"Babe, you've done nothing wrong. I promise, my reaction was genuinely just because I didn't need to see that." I said with a small laugh. "I just saw my brother fucking my best friend, a sight I could have gone my entire life without seeing. Steph, i'm everything but mad. Ive been waiting fir this for years. I wanr you bith to be hapoy and if you find that in each other, who am I to stop you? It's an adjustment, but never a bad one. You've been in my life for fucking ever, Steph. You've always been apart of the family and I always knew you'd date one of my brothers. I'm not surprised you picked Luke, you guys are perfect."

"You're really not mad?"

"No, baby, I never could be." I said, pulling her into a hug.

"I love you." She cried, laughing softly as she wrapped her arms around me.

A knock on the door sounded before it opened slightly.

"Are you guys okay?" Luke asked, holding two plated of what looked like Mac and Cheese and Dino Nuggies.

"I'll be better with that plate of food bitch, hand it over!" I said, holding out my hand for the plate of food.

"Steph?" He asked, voice going softer as he moved his eyes to rest on her. He handed me my plate and crouched down in front of Steph.

"Here, i'll let you guys talk. But for the love of god of god, do not fuck in my bed or else i'll tell your children my bedroom was a culprit of their conception." I said, kissing the top of Stephanie's head before quietly exiting my room. I walked downstairs and sat next to Will at the table.

"Everything okay?" He asked me, laying down one of his cards. I took a nugget off his plate and shoved it in my mouth as he looked over at me. "I know you did not just take my dino nuggie."

I shrugged in response, cursing myself as my tongue burned after beginning to chew.

"You fucking did!" He yelled, counting his chicken nuggets three times over.