𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎

It's been a few days since my sleepover at Charles, I'm in the bakery by myself, and it is BUSY. It's probably because it is the summer, but it is just one customer after another. Flora has the day off today, the bakery is stocked with all the baking I did yesterday, but I'm sure it won't be long til we sell out.

It quietens down for a moment, so I pop out the back to have a breather and a huge swig of water from my bottle. However, it doesn't last long - when I hear the bell on the front counter being rung, I let out a tiny groan and walk back out the front before recognising his face.

Regardless of being stressed, seeing him does relieve it slightly. I am relieved to see him and not another customer.

"Hey," he smiles at me and leans on the counter. I think back to the first time I met Charles, and we were stood here, him on one side of the counter and me on the other. Isn't it funny to think about how things have changed.

"Hey," I smile back at him, and must let out a sigh of relief.

"You look... exhausted." he points out. I scrunch my face up slightly, what a greeting to give someone. "I don't mean you look bad, you just look... well worked." my face must change into another of confusion, "I'm digging a hole aren't I."

"Yep a big one," we both laugh, "no seriously though, it has been a busy day - I love it here but I need it to be over."

"How long have you got left?"

"A couple of hours," he nods, "anyway, what brings you here, except to see me of course."

"Well, besides from you. I was going to pick something up for my mum? Remember I bought the bracelet, well now I need a cake."

The thought of Charles being so thoughtful and respectful towards his Mum makes me smile. It is a nice thought to think of him being such a nice son.

"Okay, what cake do you want?" I wave my hand over the counter to take his attention to the cakes there. He looks dumbfounded by the selection.

He looks back at me with a look of confusion, "erm, a birthday cake?"

I laugh at him, "Two seconds, I'll grab something out the back."

I walk towards the fridge where we keep the selection of bakes for the future days, and find a small circular red velvet cake that I decide will be perfect. I put it in one of the happy birthday boxes, and into a bag. Before taking the bag out the front, I look at the piped cannoli sat on the side, and decide to add a few into the bag. A special gift from me, so he can see they are really the best things ever. I put the cannoli into a small box, and attach a gift tag - "To Charles, Arthur and family - enjoy the best things you've ever eaten, from your Italian friend Liana x"

Back out the front I hand Charles the gift bag, and charge him for the cake only. He hasn't looked in the bag so the cannoli will be a nice surprise when he gets home.

It has all of a sudden got awkward, there is a silence between us whilst we just look and give each other small half smiles of acknowledgement.

"Well, see you..." I begin,

"Erm, do you..." he says at the exact same time.

I gesture at him to go ahead.

"Do you want to hang out later? Just as friends of course. Everyone is busy on summer break, and after I've popped to see my Mum I have no plans. Only if you're free, and as friends, of course."

"Are you asking me to hang out, or hang out?" I ask, suggesting on the second option he only wants a version of what he had from me the other night.