𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚢-𝚝𝚠𝚘

I slowly open my eyes. Charles's arms are like shackles around my body. I let out a sigh and try to free myself from his arms.

Why do I have so little self-control when it comes to Charles? My body is now facing him. Unlike me, he is still fast asleep, dead to the world. I look at his peaceful sleeping face, and wonder how we ended up here again. How do I keep ending up here. Regardless of his very good sleep, I start poking his ribs with my finger again and again until he finally opens his eyes.

Before I can even react, he grabs my hand and turns his body so that I'm now trapped between him and the mattress. A surprised sound leaves my lips.

"What do you think you are doing, Liana?" Charles' voice is raspy, the way his morning voice says my name is like HEAVEN. Our eyes are captivated by each other. Neither one of us attempting to tear them away. One of Charles' hands is holding my hands above my head, while the other slowly strokes my side. I close my eyes for a moment, enjoying his touch. It's only when I feel Charles' lips tenderly on my neck, I open my eyes sharp.

"Stop it, Charles." I say whilst trying to release myself from his grip, but that's not necessary, as soon as the words leave my lips, Charles backs away from me. "Is everything okay? Did I do something wrong?" he asks, shocked.

I shake my head and pull the blanket up higher again.

"No, but we shouldn't do this. Just friends, remember?" Charles' shoulders fall in relief.

With a deep sigh he falls into bed next to me. It's quiet between us until Charles nervously speaks up. "First of all, I'm sorry if I overwhelmed you or did anything you didn't want to."

I cut him off immediately, I don't want him to think he did something wrong or even something I didn't agree to. "Charles, that's not the case." I sigh. "It's just that every time I think there could be something more between us, something shit comes along and ruins everything."

There is a glimmer of sadness in his eyes as I look at him. Undeterred, however, I continue. "I want things to work between us as friends, but I end up here with you too often and that doesn't make it any easier for me."

Charles nods understandingly, but I can see how he struggles with himself. His fingers are playing with each other and his eyes are fixed on his lap.

To encourage him to talk, I nudge him with my shoulder. His gaze immediately shoots up.

He takes a deep breath, "I also want things to work between us. Not just as friends though and you know that. I don't want to pressure you into anything and I know I've messed it up more than once and I'm incredibly sorry for that. I would slap myself for ruining my chances with you, more than once." He gives me a wry smile.

I let my head fall against his shoulder. My thoughts turn to the last few months with Charles and I can't help but laugh, earning a questioning look from Charles.

"We are two really weird friends."

Now it's his turn as he joins me in laughing.

"Maybe it's a sign from the universe that we're not meant to be friends." This time I'm the one looking at him strangely, "Well, even after you went on a date with another man, you still ended up in bed with me."

"It wasn't much of a date was it," I reminded him, whilst cringing at the thought of the little time I spent yesterday with Nicolas.

"That's because no one will compare to me,"

There's something self-assured about his look and I can't really think of anything to say, so I just roll my eyes.

"I'm having a shower now."