16

CHAPTER 16
|BREAKING NEWS|

The Hogwarts caretaker, Argus Filch, came into view leading Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ryan and Draco outside with a lantern in his hand

“A pity they let the old punishments die.” He grumbled. “Was a time detention found you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming.”

“How does he still work in a place with children?” Cathy questioned. Several other people nodded in agreement making the squib scowl at her.

“How do you still work here?” Ryan questioned.

Filch ignored the question and arrived in front of Hagrid’s hut. “You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight.” Cathy was with Hagrid who was drying his tears. Norbert was sleeping in the arms of the witch while Hagrid noted the arrival of Filch and the first years. “He's got a little job to do inside the Dark Forest. A sorry lot, this, Hagrid.”

“There, there, Hagrid.” Cathy said trying to console the half-giant.

“Aww poor man.” Marlene said.

“Good God, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?” Filch asked in an annoyed tone.

“Norbert's going away.” Hagrid said in a sniffle.

“I’m sending him off to Romania to live in a colony.” Cathy explained.

“That's good, isn't it? He's with his own kind.” Hermione pointed.

Cathy nodded in agreement but Hagrid looked at her in dismay. “But what if he don't like Romania? What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby.”

Seriously?” Regulus looked at Hagrid’s state in skepticism.

“I’ll make sure she’s settled in with a more pleasant dragon.” Cathy promised. “Not that she’ll need it.”

“She?” Ryan repeated.

“Yeah it’s a girl.” Cathy answered.

Ryan tilted his head to look under the dragon. “How can you tell?”

How can you tell?” James asked.

Cathy turned to the right and showed them the scratches and burn marks on her blouse. “The females are a lot more vicious.”

“I guess we have to name her…Norbeta? Does that sound about right?” Ryan asked.

“I never even got to teach ‘er to fly.” Hagrid sobbed.