Chapter 75 - A hero in a small world

"My sister accidentally uncovered everything was orchestrated by my mother. A group that allowed racists to attack people with non-mutant Quirks to vent and illegal organ harvesting that favored only 'important people' of society." Ranfa was talking to the health secretary, Kanda Santarou, in his office. Ranfa was able to take a day off and see the secretary because she wanted to see how Seigi was doing. She also wanted to report to his father what happened to give them some sort of closure in order for them to take the first step to move on. Ranfa got out of her seat and she on her on her knees in a dogeza position. "I am sorry." Ranfa apologized to him.

The government will cover this up. After all, everything was burnt by Dabi. There's nothing left. The bodies from the forced disembowelment, the cryogenic chambers, data...nothing was left behind. Ranfa could understand why Dabi burnt everything and left nothing behind...it was for Michiyo. 'He had the opportunity to throw the world into a hellish chaos then and there. Yet, he was willing to burn everything for Michiyo.' Ranfa thought to herself. 'I can see why Dabi will like that guy...' 

"Sakura Gozen, please get up." Kanda Santarou immediately got out of his seat to help Ranfa get back up. "The crime of a parent's shouldn't ever be shouldered by the children. It's wrong to direct anything to you because of what your mother did."

Ranfa got back up again. She still look uncertain about something. 

"Is something the matter?" 

"Sir, why did my mother get to the point where everyone else is useless but you and your son are not?" 

"I don't want to tell you but I know why your mother would want to 'help me' and make me 'owe her'. Truth is, organ harvesting could be a big business if not blocked by ethical and moral standards. Your mother knows my son have a failing heart and needed a specific heart...so if she could provide one by skipping the normal process, that means I would owe her. What do you think she would want me to do for her?" 

"...to look away from the atrocity of her researches and organ harvesting." 

"I could never agree with such a thing...but truth is my son did go through the operation and now he has a new heart. If your mother is still alive, a blackmail will come to me and I will be forced to drown in unethical practices to protect my son."

"Sir, what will you do from now on?" 

"So much has happened. I wish to spend more time with my son. I'm stepping down from my current position as health secretary. I'm opening my own family clinic."

Ranfa smiled, "A doctor will always be a doctor, huh?" 

"One last thing, Ranfa-san, I truly see you as a Hero. Which is why before I've stepped down, I've personally recommended you to have your own Provisional Hero License." 

"Sir..." 

"I know many people and have many connections. I can do that for you." 

"...Sir, do you think someone like me can be a Hero? Can someone who took the life of another to save many lives be the Hero this society needs?" 

Kanda gave it some thoughts. "It's always easy for those from outside to make judgments on others. It takes stepping into the same shoes to truly understand your point of view. Ranfa-san, you might not be the Hero morality and ethics our society hope for you to be, but you are a Hero my son needed...a Hero I need. Become a Hero people need, not what society's expectations have for you."

Ranfa couldn't say no. "Alright. Since you recommend me, it's rude to turn down your gift." 

"Our paths to save others might be different but I hope you will walk on a path you feel is right."