CHAPTER 12

The road to the lake house was long and exhausting for everyone. We had some stops by the Petrol, to fill in the van or just use the local toilet. We didn't talk much; we only looked through windows, watching the city and nature pass by.

Levi was driving, as Annie sat beside him as the captain of the girls' elite. Farlan, Isabel and Petra sat in the middle, chatting as Isabel messed with the radio as Marco, Rainer and I were put on the back seats. Rainer kept quiet the whole time, as me and Marco exchanged some words, smiling. Marco was a shy kind and couldn't just burst into a contagious laughter, but he was the kindest person alive, always making you feel good – besides, you couldn't say no to his freckled face. But as soon as we had nothing to talk about, we turned ourselves off by listening to music. I rested my elbow on a windowsill, balancing my head in my palm. The outside was covered in dark, moon shining slightly red as I only saw flashlights passing by.

I was that kind, who easily fell asleep but this time I just couldn't. Levi told me, we will be on the way almost the whole night and everyone was resting immediately. My eyes were opened and I felt filled with energy. I tried to move and change position, but even that didn't help.

Sighing anxiously, I gave up and stared forward onto the road. Even Annie felt asleep in her front seat, which meant only I and Levi were awake. And by proving it, I saw Levi's reflection in the mirror, staring back at me.

''Oi, get some rest brat,'' he said quietly, focusing on the road ahead. I gave him a sturdy gasp in return and pushed my head back, making the music from my headphones even louder. I muttered worthless words through my dry lips, which bagged for water. I took my backpack on my thighs, quickly opening it and taking my bottle out, drinking the cold liquid down my dry throat. When I was done, I noticed Levi still watching me.

''I'm being serious Mikasa. Get some sleep, tomorrow will be long and painful.'' His voice was strange, showing a lack of emotions. And the fact, he used my real name surprised me the most. I exhaled and tried to nap for the last time, just because he said so. I putted my headphones away, turning to the side to look through the window again. I shut my eyes, relaxing. I tried to think about something not important or just anything that will make me sleepy. That was usually the technique I used, but the fact, that a quiet music started playing right after my attempt made me opened my eyes. Isabel was sleeping and the sweet sounds of piano came from the radio, so this had to be Levi's doing.

So this is his way of getting you to sleep?

I chuckled and closed my eyes again, letting my body fly in harmony, as my thoughts wandered to sweet land of dream about the only person, I hated and adored at the same time, but was not willing to confess.

*

''Hey, Mikasa. Wake up sleepyhead,'' I heard Marco's low voice hitting my ear, as his fingers gently made little circles down my arm. I flickered with my eyelashes, trying to suck in the light, as I stretched my arms above my sleepy body.

The nap was amazing, only to short, since Marco woke me up and I had a feeling it was still midnight. I remembered Levi playing a peaceful music for me, but when my eyes widened at his direction, his figure wasn't there anymore. Needless to say, Marco and I were the only ones in the van. I gave him a smile and thanked him for waking me up that gently then looked through the window.

We arrived to the lake house – a beautiful place, drawn away from any distractions, completely surrounded by nature. The sky was surprisingly blue and beautiful for winter, little puffy clouds stretching through it endlessly. A few feet from the van was a sandy beach, encompassing a large lake, dark and filled with little ice. Trees were really green for a winter time, maybe a little cracked, but besides that, even the grass looked amazing. It was like, the winter season never touched this place to the fullest, as If we were left out somewhere in the wild. The only thing, giving me the feeling of comfort, was a big wooden house on the other side of the lake, its windows shut and no one seen near it.