CHAPTER 34

All is silence.

The walls are white and covered with mildew.

The lockers are that cliché red colour.

The air is heavy and suffocating.

My ears are pierced with silence, yet I can hear that melody, floating and hitting my mind like little waves.

I can feel everything – the silence, the walls, the lockers, and the melody.

But all I can see is people – no, all I can see is him.

My nightmares were turning into reality. Darkness loomed around us, I could barely breathe or stand, but my vision was okay. And Levi stood only a few steps away, looking right at me. Well, I could say, I was the target for all eyes to cut through. My eyes were scared and filled with anxiety, their eyes huge and filled with surprise. But it didn't matter, how their eyes looked – his eyes were the only ones that truly mattered.

And his were iron sharp.

Seeing him standing there in his usual black uniform, hair looking perfect and skin as pale as the melting snow, made me shiver. He had his hands in the air, probably counting the names on the fingers, but now they slowly fell down. Even his lips were separated.

But his eyes were iron.

I could cry, I could smile, I could pretend that I wasn't bothered, since the time stopped for me, but I just didn't have that in me.

But choosing one of those, it would have to be a smile. Why?

Because, when our gazes truly locked, I could feel it – the change. A sudden shade of blue waves hit his eyes from the corners, making them unusually bright. They weren't even ocean blue – they were that light sky blue with a mix of turquoise.

They were just breath taking.

''Mikasa!'' someone screamed and before I could look away, Isabelle threw herself at me with all her power. And let's just say – she's indeed really REALLY strong, so I don't know how I even managed to stand still. But she wasn't the only hitting wave; suddenly, all my teammates were standing beside me – Isabelle was hugging me tightly, Marco was poking me playfully, even freaking Rainer and Farlan ended speechless. They all were just standing there, greeting me and smiling awfully.

They all just looked so happy to see me and I had to blink twice to reassure, I wasn't dreaming. But no, they actually missed me.

But there were, of course, the freaking trio in the background my eyes couldn't miss – surprised Annie, frowning Petra and weird-looking Levi.

They were standing just as they did before I came into the room; Petra scratching her head, Annie with her hands folded on her chest and Levi with his arms in mid-air. Don't get me wrong, they all showed expressions, but theirs were all completely different.

Annie had her eyebrows raised for the first time.

Petra cut through me like she has seen a devil.

And Levi – well, you know how Levi looked.

''Okay people, let's give Mikasa some space,'' Isabelle let me go on Annie's command, forcing everyone to take a step away and I was sure glad to breath normally again. They would have probably bombed me with questions by now, but Annie knew how to make order in the room, so she was the one asking.

Firstly, she stepped closer, checking me from head to toe, probably reassuring, that I was real. I greeted her with a cracked smile and slowly dropped my bag on the old bench, followed by funny gazes. I started taking my clothes out, knowing I'll get different reactions from all of them. And I sure did – some gasped and some said nothing, but then Marco had to make a statement.