CHAPTER 30

The corridor was empty and dark.

White, hospital walls were extending on either side, embracing the soft echoing sounds, as I made my way further from my room. Besides my breathing and footsteps nothing else was heard on the little hallway on the second floor. Needless to say, the late night was upon the town and even doctors and nurses disappeared from this section of the hospital. But if I wanted to go any further, I would eventually bump into someone.

And that was not my plan.

As I proceeded my way, I was clouded with dark more and more, since the hallway had no windows, only white walls to keep me company. Shivering, I embraced myself with my little trembling hands, trying to forget about the cold that was waving through the streets, buildings and every room in town. Unfortunately, I was wearing only an oversized t-shirt and shorts, which smelled not quite pleasant. Goosebumps appeared up my arms and I bit my lips, trying to sustain the cold. Pain never really left my head and arm, even, if I only had scars to remind me, what happened. But even though, every little step closer to my destination, I felt like being pulled apart or surrounded by blue butterflies. Yeah, strange combinations, I know, but I can't describe the random feeling properly.

It was a god damn cold night, and it made me tremble, shiver, gasp... but it also made my heart race, my body boil in anxiety and my fingers melt, as I came to a place, which extended at the end of the hallway into a little guest room.

There was nothing but a light on the other side of some door, probably a doctor, but I didn't care. There was also darkness, little tables and chairs, magazines tossed around and a large window with a perfect city view on my right.

And Levi was leaning on it.

I stopped at the entrance, standing iron still and watching. My last breath was lost in unknown and my heartbeat stopped in mid-beat. I was shivering like crazy, but my insides were melting from overheat. I couldn't even let out a proper gasp or a sign to indicate my presence, but I never really had to. When footsteps turned to mute, Levi suddenly turned around and faced me.

I stopped breathing.

His hand was still resting on the window, while the other was shoved in his pocket. He was wearing the usual; black shirt, black jeans, a leather jacket hanging on his shoulders. His raven hair was filled with melting snow, as eyes sparkled ocean blue. His figure was embraced by darkness, but you could see the pale skin even from the distance.

He at first said nothing – it was like time had frozen for us or he was just feeling the same thing as me. The place separated us and the gap seemed almost infinite, which did nothing but hurt my melting heart. The scene was like one from those romantic movies, when the boy and the girl are standing in the rain, looking at each other desperately and then finally run towards one another, happily greeted into an embrace.

But this was no cliché movie. This was reality.

It sucked, how we said nothing, just continued staring at one another, while Levi finally moved away from the window and slowly moved across the room, closing the gap. His footsteps echoed around us, making me just more nervous, as I would usually be.

But this was crazy – Levi was here, and he was watching me, getting closer and closer till he was no more but a step away. His gaze was calming, he was frowning as always, but something told me, he was sad but yet at peace.

We gazed into each other's eyes, begging for a gentle touch which was only disappearing in to thin air, until he finally opened his mouth and let the sweet, low voice settle in my ears.

''I've missed you.''

''Levi,'' I let out in a shaking whisper but he didn't let me continue. He stretched his hand and softly caressed my cheek, as a bitter smile planted on his lips. I closed my eyes in the sensation of his warm palms, wanting it to always be with me. And he didn't move his hand away, which only made me weaker. I could shed a million tears at this moment, but my eyes were too dry from all the previous meltdowns. I just stayed still, tilting my head and resting it in his hand, just breathing in the moment, him and my feelings.