six ఌ

Still stirred up and confused from the dream yesterday, I drove to work the next day. Like Marlow already announced I was alone for the first moments. I greeted Elmo who walked to me with a waving tail. Janett, the old lady where Elmo lives, brings him here every morning at 7 a.m. because she spends the rest of the day until 7 p.m. in Nizza with her family and she works there. Every morning she cleans up the restaurant here so she's allowed to let her dog here until she's back in the afternoon.

„Hey, my sweetie." , Smiling I touched his skin and let my hand rolling over his head. He showed me how much he loves that, Er genoss das, as he pressed his head more and more against my hand. „Let's go walking a bit." I suggested and the male dog understood. He waved his tail and already headed to the door. Fast I brought my bag in the staff-only area, grabbed a leash and went back to the friendly waiting dog. When I open the door and gave him the OK, he started running over the beach where nobody was to see. In the mornings at 7 a.m. are the most people at home. Only some pensioners are sometimes here to pray to the sun or something like that.

Elmo had his fun in scaring a group of seagulls. In moments like that I almost forget that he's already twelve and not two anymore.

„Elmo! Come back!" I called him and kneed down as he arrived. I scratched him praised through his skin and turned back to the restaurant with him. After all, I still had to prepare the whole restaurant.

I put water in a silver glowing bowl and gave it to Elmo. With a loud noise he drank it all and lay down on his place in the staff-only-area after. During that I threw a look in the kitchen. Annette and Jaques were on to prepare some buns, other baked goods and cakes that were delivered in the early morning. Both of them are responsible for the kitchen in this restaurant. So after I made sure that they follow their duties, I put sugar and flowers on the tables, switched on the cash register and wrote today's recommendations on the blackboard. This blackboard I I hang clearly visible for all guests on the wall. At 8 a.m. the first customers walked through the door of the restaurant. I smiled kindly and lead a family with a baby and a -I guess- four-year-old girl to a table with a baby seat. The girl reminded me to June, one of the daughters from Mara. She has the same dark, curly hair as the child that now stood in front of me.

„Do you already know what you'd like to drink?", I asked in the round and grabbed a pen and a piece of paper.

„Two Latte Macciato's and for her a cocoa.", the man ordered  while he sat the baby in the special chair. I nodded as a sign of my understanding and finished my writing.

„All noted. Would you also like to add something to brunch later?" I finally asked.

„Yeah, we'd like to but do you have a menu?", the woman threw a happy and asking look at me. I nodded strongly as an answer in her question. „Yes, I'm bringing them to you."

With that I turned by mack to the family and after I got them the menu, I made their order ready to serve.

With a similar program like that, my morning went by. But it got fuller with every passing minute. Probably every single monegasque of Monte-Carlo decided to visit our restaurant on exactly this day, where I'm working alone as a waiter. That only made my question stronger, where Clodine was. But on the other side, I wasn't really surprised about her absence. She's not the most reliable person on earth... She often says that she takes over a shift, but either she forgets it or she spontaneously decides against that. But the problem is, that she doesn't inform her colleagues about that she doesn't come. She just leaves them completely alone in the shift. Isn't that nice?

Around 12:00 I finally had the redeeming lunch break. So actually I would have a break, but since there was no other colleague there, it literally fell into a bucket in front of my eyes!

I was busy with making the tables and the ground clean, brining dirty dishes away and with rewriting the blackboard for the new offers of food. Unstoppable my free minutes disappeared wide away and in the end, I only had 10 minutes left to calm down. I hid into the toilet, leaned my head against the cold stone wall and exhaled. I was tired and exhausted. May the second part of the day become more pleasant...

I turned on the rinse so that Annette and Jaques didn't think I had wasted my time unnecessarily in the toilet. They probably didn't even recognize that I've been there because they were busy to cook for the next part of the day.

With tired legs I slowly walked back to the reception area. A short look around the corner showed me how Elmo slept peacefully. He made my mood a bit brighter. How is it possible, that he's capable of something what not even my parents are. He's able to make me happy, without really doing something. Isn't that  strange?

The opening of the door announced that just in that moment, the second part of my working-day began. And no, it wasn't Clodine who walked through the door but guests who wanted to have a nice lunch break.

Two stressful hours passed away. The restaurant was filled by many people. Every place -included those inside and outside- were almost occupied. I ran around, Ich war am Rumrennen, poured countless drinks and transported the orders personally to the kitchen every time. Usually we can easily type in the orders on a PC and then send them to the kitchen, where they are printed on a piece of paper, but currently this special printer is broken and my boss has not yet managed to get a new one. Of course, this makes all the work a lot more demanding. Especially when you are alone...

When I was reading a drink order behind the counter, a warm male voice interrupted me, which clearly stood out from all the many talking people. I immediately looked up and looked into unmistakably green eyes.

„We've been seeing each other quite often lately, don't you think?"