thirty-nine ఌ

„Your father would be proud of you," I murmured at Charles' ear when I lay next to him in bed the same evening. He pulled me even closer to him and gave me a kiss. „Thank you. I wish he was here," he mumbled down. „I know," I sighed. Why does this world have to be so unfair?

The following noon, Charles and I flew back to Monaco together with Sam, Linnea and Benjamin. Before we divided into taxis after landing, I said goodbye to my siblings. They would fly back to Zurich today and from there to their current place of residence in the USA. I knew that it would probably take some time until our next meeting. I wished them both a good flight home and asked them to take care of themselves. With Sam, Charles and I drove to Monte Carlo and the two kindly set me off at my house. My friend pressed a loving kiss on my lips and said goodbye for tomorrow afternoon.

Pulling my suitcase behind me, I walked the last few meters to the front door and unlocked it. My apartment, which I entered a short time later, smelled familiar and was at the same time so quiet. For a few moments I just stopped in the living room and looked out the window. In my head, the whole past race weekend played out again and all the positive feelings spread peace in my mind.

One week later
On satisfied soles, I paid a visit to my workplace on Monday morning. When I noticed that the door was open, I frowned. Am I not the first today?

Sustricious and quietly, I put my feet over the threshold and looked around. From the staff area, I heard crackling, like from a plastic bag. I grabbed a pepper shaker from a table and sneaked behind the counter. The heart in my chest pumped so loudly that I hoped it wouldn't betray me. Just in front of the door, which by the way was only leaning, I paused and listened. I held the thing in my hands tightly clutched. Then I gathered my courage and took a deep breath. I made a step forward and kicked the door completely open. She crashed into something that did a blow and a person kneeling on the floor twitched. Completely indignant, she drove around and stared into my cramped face. My mouth remained open when I realized who was sitting in front of me and secretly feeding Elmo. "Marlow?" I was surprised by my lips. I didn't expect him. "Oh God Sally. Did you want to", he pointed to the pepper shaker in my hands, "kill me with that thing?", confused, he stood up. I took a few quick steps towards him and took him in my arms without a word. If someone from my colleagues has grown close to my heart at work, he is.

„I missed you too," he murmured and pressed me tightly to himself. "But hey, that I gave Elmo a few treats, remains between us, okay?" pleadingly, Marlow pointed to our domestic dog, who was wagging his tail in his place. "Please?" he added squintly.

„Yes, not a thing. What did you even give him?" I asked and tried to recognize the writing on the package in his hands. "Is from Portugal. We were in our honeymoon there. They seem to make really good meat. According to how the boy just ate this..." now he knelt back to the ball of fur and scratched it. I did the same to him. Elmo licked over my hand. Scared, I had to realize how thin he has become and that his face looks much more collapsed than two weeks ago. He wasn't there all last week because his owner thought it was better to leave him at home. Why didn't she say anything?

„Oh god Elmo.", I stammered. "What's wrong with you?"

"I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices how bad he is," Marlow breathed out the air with relief. Worried, I stroked his head, which he pressed against my hand with pleasure. Pictures of my former dog, Spoon, came into my head. I remembered how I always lay down with him in his last few weeks and just stroked him for hours. I felt that this helped him not to feel so much pain. Now when I see Elmo here, so weak and inken, I feel scared. Scared of losing him soon, too.

Soon Marlow and I finally had to start working and served our guests. At twelve o'clock, Charles walked through the door frame smiling and waved joyfully at me. I gave him a bright look and explained to Marlow that I would go. After all, my shift almost always ended at twelve on Mondays. "Yes, you can go. And have fun." he winked at me knowingly, but I just rolled my eyes with a grin.

I grabbed my things from the staff area and huried to my friend, who took me in his arms. „Hey Chérie." With one arm around my shoulder, we walked next to each other along the promenade and enjoyed our time together. A call from me made me sigh annoyed. „Go for it," Charles said calmly. „All right," I took out my phone and looked at the screen. It was Elmo's owner. With raised eyebrows, I took the call. „Hello?"

„Ah, hello Célina. I hope I don't disturb?" asked the older woman on the other line.

I took a look at Charles and would have liked to say ‚oh yes, you do', but Charles smiled at me confidently.

„No, no. What is it about?"

„I talked to your boss yesterday and told him that I would take Elmo to an animal shelter. He is doing very badly, but I can no longer pay for the veterinary costs," she told me. Dejected, I lowered my gaze. „I'm sorry about that. But what role do I play?" I followed up. I didn't understand exactly why she told ME. „Your boss doesn't think of putting him in an animal shelter. He suggested calling you instead, as you probably have a good connection to Elmo," she admitted. My thoughts digressed. Shall I take care of Elmo? I knew that I couldn't go to his owner's house every day at almost any time to take care of him. If I have to take care of him, I will bring him to my home.

„I adopt him. Of course, only if you agree with it," so I decided with Charles looking at me completely confused.

„Célina that...thank you very much. I'm sure he'll be fine with you. Financially, I will help you and send you a monthly amount of money that you can set." In her voice there was some sadness and relief at the same time. As I know her, she certainly hoped to get rid of her dog at some point anyway.

„For me, this is an honor. I will take good care of him," I assured her confidently. "And because of the money. Due to the fact that Elmo has to go through veterinary examinations regularly, I think I need at least 600€."

„You'll get the money. When should I bring him to you?" the woman asked and seemed full of drive, as if she couldn't go fast enough. In the back of my mind, I wondered why she can give me 600€ so easily when she says that she didn't have enough money anymore to keep Elmo. But probably she just didn't want him anymore. The older a dog gets, the more time-consuming it is. But that's just how it is.

„I'm still going shopping today and cleaning up my apartment. Does Wednesday suit you?" I suggested and waited for her answer.

"Yes, of course. Thank you again."

„No problem. Bye." I hung up and sighed. However, I could not suppress a wide smile. "An explanation please?" Charles demanded curiously and put his arm around me again to go further. I told him what happened and how it would continue now. "Fits perfectly. There's an animal shop over there. You'll get everything for your future roommate." We crossed the street and entered the shop that Charles had meant. Long shelves stocked with food, toys or dog beds lined up. I grabbed a basket and started shopping.

Since my family and I had fed Spoon with raw meat at the time, I didn't need to buy food here. I would order this on the Internet and get a nutritional consultation in connection with it.

Charles helped me Charles Helped to choose a bed for Elmo and insisted on carrying the basket. In addition to the bed, I also bought some things for Elmo's care and important supplements that he needs at his age. After shopping, I sent my account details and the bill to Elmo's owner and started cleaning up my apartment with Charles' help. In a short time, it turned into an animal-friendly home.