CHAPTER 112

The next day on Friday,

Marianna is wheeled into surgery at around eight am. Hector had to go to work so he asked Anna Patricia, Ramon, and Clara, to go on his behalf. Alejandro, Isabella, and Horacio were also there, so it made for a very awkward encounter. The surgery begins soon after.

Back in the small town,

The investigator is still working on the report. He has found old copies of newspapers (from the internet) from the time Hernan and Gabriela went missing. He is going through the newspapers, to see if there is any bit of information that he could use to prove or disprove whether Hector and Gina are or are not the missing twins.

Some hours later,

Marianna's surgery is over and she is wheeled back to her room. Anna Patricia calls Hector to let him know that the surgery ended and seems to have gone well. Hector is happy. Despite everything Marianna did, he didn't want her to die. Hector thanks his aunt and asks her to update him once the doctor tells them something. She says she will.

Sometime later,

Gina arrives at the mental hospital, to visit her father. He is happy to see her but notices that she is uneasy. He asks her if she is fine. Gina says that she is. He asks her how the surgery went. Gina says that she just talked to her aunt before she arrived, and she said that the doctor said that it went well, but that they needed to monitor Marianna closely for the next seventy-two hours because those were the most crucial. Gina adds that her aunt and grandparents were there for most of the day, and left an hour after the operation ended. She then adds that everyone else except her aunt Luisa and Uncle Armando (who had to go home because of the baby) went there after work.

John says that is good. He then says that he hopes that the accident as tragic as it was, hopefully, will make Marianna, change her ways and be a better person, a mother her daughter can be proud of. Gina looks at him doubtfully. She says it would be a miracle if that happened. He then folds his hands and looks at her seriously. She asks him what is wrong. He asks her what she talked about with the doctor. Gina sighs, she tells herself that it is no surprise her brother and sister can be so blunt, and to the point. They are both like their father.

Back at the hospital,

Antonio comes back from the cafeteria with Aranza and Aurelio. They ran into Isabella, who gives Aranza and Aurelio scathing looks. They, however, maintain their class and don't stoop to her level. When Isabella passes, Antonio tells both Aurelio and Aranza not to worry about Isabella. Aranza tells him that it's okay because hopefully, Isabella will soon be out of their lives. Aurelio says he hopes so, especially for Ricardo's sake, because Isabella has never loved that poor child. Antonio agrees.

Back at the mental hospital,

Gina fiddles, as she often does when nervous. Her father asks her if the doctor said he will get worse. She assures him that he will be just fine, soon. He then says that whatever she discussed with the doctor concerns him, and he deserves to know. Gina says that she was just worried that the uncertainty of not knowing what happened to his children would not be good for him and so she asked the doctor about it. John says that he will never be at peace until he knows what happened to his children.

He says that if he doesn't have a relapse that day, it may be the next day or sometime in the future. Gina tells him that won't happen because he has so much to live for. John says he knows that he has Anna Patricia, Aranza them and the children. He adds the twins were, however, his pride and joy, and he will never be at peace until he knows what happened to them. Gina turns to the other side; as a loose tear starts to flow. She says to herself that if Marianna wasn't in ICU she would give her brother a good tongue lashing for letting her do something so important alone.