The Bane of Fishermen

Block

Block.

Kick.

Punch.

Punch.

Dodge.

"You're getting better," Finnick grinned as Adrien continued to hit the gloves Finnick wore.

When this started, Finnick wasn't sure Adrien would survive as a pupil, much less a tribute, but he was slowly gaining muscle as he kept to the diet and weight lifting regime that, as Adrien discovered quickly, Finnick was very serious about.

"I'm not good enough yet," Adrien said. Sweat beaded his forehead, and his brow was pinched together as he focused on each hit.

"You can always get better," Finnick said. "But everyone starts at square one."

Adrien continued to hit until even Finnick's hands started to hurt.

"Adrien?" He asked, but he kept hitting.

Over and over again.

Finnick called out his name again as Adrien's breathing became ragged and his punches became sloppy.

"I think we're done for the day," Finnick said, but Adrien lunged at him one more time, punching Finnick in the jaw.

He leapt back immediately when Finnick turned around, holding onto his hand.

"I- I'm so sorry," Adrien said, ripping off the gloves.

Finnick rubbed his jaw. No one had really had a go at him since the games. There were other people in the training area that afternoon, and everyone was staring at them waiting to see what Finnick would do next.

"Do you want to tell me what's going on?" Finnick asked, and Adrien immediately scowled. Even if his palms (and jaw) hadn't just taken a beating, Finnick sensed Adrien's foul mood from the moment he walked in. "I'll take that as a no then."

Adrien continued to glare at the ground, and Finnick continued to study him.

Then, Finnick grabbed a pair of gloves. Adrien watched as he wrapped up his hands. What he didn't see coming was Finnick's fist flying into his jaw.

People gasped around them when Adrien went to the ground, but he was on his feet quickly.

"What was that for?" he asked, practically yelling at Finnick, who only grinned and bounced on his toes like he was ready to dance.

"You want to be angry? Be angry. You want me to teach? Let me teach."

Finnick swung again, and Adrien toppled back. More people peered over. They weren't even pretending to work out.

When Finnick took a step forward, Adrien rolled away. He glanced over at the group, his face flaming in embarrassment.

Then, he swung. His punches were lazy and uncoordinated, and Finnick dodged each of them easily. Before Adrien knew what was happening, Finnick landed one solid punch in the middle of his cheek.