The Parade

It had been years since Finnick stood among the horses

It had been years since Finnick stood among the horses. Usually, he went right up to the box with all the other mentors. It felt strange that this year, he was down below as a tribute once more, and it was Adrien in the box instead.

"I hate this," Ezra muttered beside him. He glanced over to see Ezra in some sort of shiny getup. Finnick bit back a laugh that was becoming increasingly harder to maintain.

"You look like the night sky," he tried to say, and Ezra raised a brow, clearly not believing him, and that was when Finnick let out a snort of laughter.

"And to think this is the man everyone here is in love with," Johanna said as she strolled up to the two. "Does Amara know what a horrible strangled laugh you have?"

Finnick grinned. "She does and she still loves me."

"I still want to know how that happened, by the way," Ezra said, and Johanna nodded in agreement. Finnick popped a sugar cube into his mouth and shrugged.

"You were all expecting it to happen," he said. "Why bore you with the details?"

Johanna laughed mockingly. "Because you two have been denying your feelings for a decade. We want to know. In fact, the whole world will want to know."

"Have you told anyone?" Ezra asked.

"Not explicitly," he said. "It happened at the Presidential Palace."

Ezra's jaw dropped. "Please tell me it was after I saw Amara because if she kept this from me--"

"It was after," he promised.

"I still want the story," Johanna said, but it was at that moment that Katniss appeared. Finnick smirked and tossed another sugar cube into his mouth.

"Later," he said before making his way over to her.

Maybe apart of him was curious about what she was really like behind the camera. Maybe apart of him was curious about how far the act would stretch. Maybe he just wanted to rile her up. Maybe it was all three, but Finnick couldn't resist teasing her with that smirk on her face.

"Katniss!" he called out as she was petting her horse. She glanced over at him, clearly not happy to see him.

"Hello, Finnick," she said dryly.

"Do you want a sugar cube?" he asked, tossing it from one hand to the next. "It's supposed to be for the horses, but I mean, who cares about them, right? They've got years to eat sugar, but you and I? If we see something sweet, we better grab it."

"No thanks," she grimaced. "But I would love to borrow that outfit someday."

Finnick grinned. "You look pretty terrifying in that getup. What happened to the pretty little girl dresses?"

"I outgrew them," she said sharply, and his grin only widened.

"You certainly did," he said. "It's a shame about this Quell thing. Now you... you could have made out like a bandit. Jewels, money, anything you wanted."