An Extraction Plan

Jade was shocked when she was summoned to Amara's parents' place

Jade was shocked when she was summoned to Amara's parents' place. She hadn't been there since Amara moved out, and knew Amara never felt it necessary to go back.

When she walked through the doors, however, Amara was staring blankly at the fireplace. Her parents weren't there, but Celeste was, talking her ear off. Amara didn't appear to be paying any attention. Her eyes were red, and Jade wasn't sure what was happening in her brain, but she knew it had nothing to do with whatever Celeste was talking about.

"Oh, Jade! We need you to prep Amara. She'll be going live in three hours." Celeste said in a tone that was way too cheery for Jade's liking.

"Live?" Jade asked, staring at Amara. The woman in question didn't even bother looking at her.

"I'm announcing my next concert to the Capitol," she said quietly, but her eyes were unfocused. She didn't look like the Amara Jade knew so well.

But Jade knew she couldn't say anything about it while she was there.

"Where's Cinna?" Amara asked, knowing the two had started tag-teaming her.

"He wanted to watch the games with Effie and the prep team," she said. "I haven't seen him since before the tribute send-off."

Amara nodded blankly. Celeste's phone rang, and she muttered something about a person neither of them had ever heard of. From the way Celeste spoke about it, however, she was behaving like Snow was calling. Jade was thankful when she stepped out of the room.

"What are you doing?" she asked. Amara just looked blankly up at her.

"They were going to kill Finnick if I didn't agree," Amara said. "I can't watch him die, Jade."

"He's still alive. Beetee has some sort of plan for how to get rid of the careers."

"Have they been getting the food I sent?" Amara asked, and Jade nodded. The Heiress had sent three baskets of bread and let them all assume it was from District Three. The bread, however, told them the exact details they needed for when they would be extracted.

It sent the Capitol into an uproar that the Heiress was sending so many gifts. She'd never sent more than one sponsor gift in the games, and considering how big the alliance is, none of them could tell who it was for.

No wonder the Capitol was so angry. She found it ironic that she was being used as the solution to a problem she created for them.

"What are you still doing here?" Celeste asked Jade the moment she got off the phone. "Go get whatever dress you have prepared for her."

Jade was shooed out of the room quickly, but she looked back at Amara one more time.

"Go," Amara begged, and Jade knew she was talking about so much more than leaving this room. She hesitated, but walked out of the room with tears streaming down her face. Amara was giving them a chance. She knew exactly what she'd been doing when she told Jade to go.