Friends and Enemies

"We should only partner with One and Two," Finnick heard Vixen say the next morning

"We should only partner with One and Two," Finnick heard Vixen say the next morning. She and Devin were watching the parade diligently, studying the tributes again.

"I agree," Devin said. "Especially because I'm sure the other careers will be killed along the way. The less people we have to battle with, the better."

"You know..." Finnick started, and they both turned around to glare at him.

"Did we ask you?" Vixen asked. Finnick snorted and shrugged. If they didn't want his help, he certainly wasn't going to give it. He passed Mags on his way to the fridge. She was making pancakes and watching their tributes.

"Have they ignored everything you've said as well?" she asked. Finnick nodded and shook his head. "It's going to get them killed."

"Mackabee asked me to teach a class a few times a week next semester," Finnick said. "I think I'm going to start by lecturing each of them on pride."

"Pride kills just as easily as a sword," Mags said, and Finnick couldn't help but agree. He knew the two tributes sitting on the couch were already dead.

"When do they leave for training?" Finnick asked. Mags glanced up at the clock.

"Less than an hour," she said. He nodded, stealing a piece of bacon from her plate. She smacked his hand, rolling her eyes. "Make your own," she said. Finnick just grinned and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"Why would I do that when I can just steal yours?" he asked. Mags poured more syrup on her plate, drowning it. "You know that isn't good for you, right?"

"I am 71-years-old. I could have been killed in that arena decades ago. If I am killed by bacon, I will die happy."

Finnick just stared at her. "I'm not sure where that jump came from, but okay. I'll be gone for the rest of the morning. If they can't find their way to the training center, don't point them in the right direction. After all, they don't want our help."

Mags stared suspiciously at him.

"And what exactly will you be doing? You're supposed to be mentoring, but I know you're not doing that."

Finnick turned slightly red, and Mags grinned.

"Ah, you're visiting Amara," she surmised. Finnick shushed her, glancing over at the tributes, who weren't paying attention at all.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"You turn red every time you think about her," Mags said.

"Yeah, well... shut up."

Mags only laughed.

**

Finnick fidgeted with the shell necklace he had made for Amara the entire time he walked out of the Tribute Center. As soon as he hit the street, he suddenly realized he had no way of knowing how to find her.