Even Victors Fall

"Are you going to tell me what this afternoon was about?" Finnick asked Amara as she reclined at his dinner table later in the evening

In tradition, Amara always greeted the tributes from Four at some point during their stay. Seeing as it was the last night, however, Finnick and Mags sent them to bed early so they could get enough sleep before they spent the rest of their life in the arena.

"What about this afternoon?" Amara asked mindlessly as she focused all her attention on balancing her spoon on her nose.

"You intimidating the tributes from Twelve. I've never seen you act like that before."

Amara just hummed. "No."

She focused on her spoon again, and Finnick sighed.

"Fine, keep your secrets," he said before gathering the dishes and walking toward the kitchen.

"We all have the parts we must play, Finnick," she said. He looked over at her curiously.

"And what part do you play?" he asked. She paused for just a moment before shrugging.

"You're allowed to have your secrets, and I'm allowed to have mine."

"Since when do you have secrets?" he snorted, but she just shrugged and stood.

"I have a busy day ahead of me tomorrow," she said. Finnick watched her curiously as she gathered all her stuff together and walked toward the door. Before she left, however, she looked back at him one last time. "You once told me that there are games in the Capitol that I will never understand."

Finnick slowly put his dishes down and walked toward her.

"Tell me you're not involved in all this," he said. She pursed her lips and studied him. She saw true fear in his eyes as he stared at her.

"I won't pretend to understand the life of a victor," she said quietly, "but you have to know that living in the Capitol is all one game. Eventually, it was going to catch up to me."

"What did Snow ask you to do?" he asked.

"Snow? Nothing," she watched as he visibly relaxed. "I just want you to know that I understand what you're talking about."

"About secrets?"

"About keeping them to protect the people you love," she said quietly. She reached up and touched his face. It was a feather-light touch, her thumb brushing across his cheekbone.

"Don't do anything stupid," he warned. She grinned.

"Have you met me?"

"It's why I feel the need to say it," he said.

Amara winked, turned on her heel, and was gone.

**

"When was the last time anyone was actually blown up?" Amara asked as all the mentors were gathered on her couch.