Ten Days

"I'm thinking that we can curl your hair," Effie said as she played around with different hairstyles

"I'm thinking that we can curl your hair," Effie said as she played around with different hairstyles. "It would be simple and would fit comfortably under the headpiece that Jade designed."

"Do you have it ready?" Amara asked, and Jade nodded.

"It's on the chair," she said, barely glancing up from the sowing machine. As excited as Jade was to do something other than sitting in the hospital, it seemed she went right back to sitting as soon as she walked into the apartment. She'd spent hours in that chair working on the dress.

"I have the curler," Effie said, and she began to lightly curl Annie's hair. When it was done, they delicately placed the head-dressing on her head. Amara took a step back and gasped. Effie placed her hands over her mouth and stared. Jade looked up, and her jaw dropped.

"Well?" Annie asked.

"You look beautiful," Amara finally managed to say.

"Oh, Annie," Effie cooed. "You're going to be a gorgeous bride."

"I'm good," Jade praised herself, making the three other women laugh.

The door flew open and Haymitch sprinted in.

"Effie!" he yelled, gasping for breath. All three of them jumped and stepped in front of Annie.

"What are you doing in here?" Amara yelled.

"You can't be here!" Effie scolded.

"Don't you dare spoil this!" Jade said.

Haymitch didn't care.

"Katniss has been shot."

**

"She seems to be in a stable condition," Coin said as she slowly sat down at the conference room table. The victors (minus Peeta, Johanna, and Enobaria), Effie, Plutarch, and Boggs were sitting around it, and they all seemed to collectively sigh in relief.

"What happened?" Effie asked.

"We were in Two," Boggs explained. "Support for the Capitol is strong there, and we needed to drive them out of the mountain. Someone had a gun and shot her."

"Why isn't she dead?" Finnick asked.

"Cinna made the suit bulletproof," Haymitch revealed, and Finnick chuckled.

"Was it a success?" Amara asked. They all turned to her, surprised. She raised a brow. "We all know it will be the first thing she's going to ask when she wakes up. Was the mission a success?"

There was a moment of silence.

"Yes," Plutarch said. "We have more of a grip on the district right now, and the entire world just saw Katniss take a bullet for her cause. This just became very real to them, and more and more people are siding with the rebellion."