Coin's Blessing

Amara studied Peeta's brain scan

Amara studied Peeta's brain scan. To her side, both Prim and Mrs. Everdeen were studying her carefully, along with two other healers that were on the same task force. Their goal was to rehabilitate Peeta.

"What is it?" Prim asked, craning her neck to look at the chart. One of the healers, a man named Elroy, walked over and looked over her shoulder. Amara pointed out the differences in the chart, and he nodded sadly.

"The problem is that when he's sitting alone, his brain waves are completely normal, but when we mention Katniss' name, his Amygdala lights up. It's where feelings of fear are stored," Amara explains.

"We were right to think it was hijacking," Elroy muttered as the other healer, Thames, walked over and studied the chart.

"We need to reverse the side affects by giving him positive associations with what he fears."

"Katniss," Prim said sadly, and Elroy nodded.

"Katniss is the one we know most about," he said. "But it's entirely possible there are other triggers that could harm the rebellion. We need to find out what it is."

"How?" Prim asked.

"We show him a series of pictures and scan his brain to see when the amygdala lights up," Amara said.

"Let's get to work," Thames agreed.

**

"Good news!" One of the healers said as she looked over Annie's lab results. "You seem to be in perfectly fine condition. "You're free to go."

Adrien was grinning at Annie, who sighed in relief.

"Thank you," she breathed. "I can't tell you how excited I am to not wear a hospital gown. It's been two months of the same thing and I'm going nuts."

The healer laughed and handed her a small bottle.

"Take one of these vitamins every day and you should be good to go," she said. Annie took the bottle and hopped out of bed without another thought.

The healer laughed again. "Enjoy your freedom!"

Annie practically dragged Adrien out of the room.

"Please show me everything," she begged, and so he did. He toured Annie through the facilities, passed where Finnick was training a class of twenty teenagers self-defense, and to their living quarters.

"Finnick and I are up on the fourth floor, but you and Amara are here."

It was a simple room, but compared to the cell she lived in for the last two months, it was practically luxury.

"I wish I could live with you," she muttered, leaning her head against his.

"You could," he said, but she shook her head.