Everyone's Favorite Friends

It seemed everyone in the Capitol was in love with Adrien Mackabee

And it was well known that Adrien Mackabee was only in love with Annie Cresta. He spurned everyone in the Capitol who made an advance on him, and it only made them love and respect him more.

Adrien bounced from one district to the next. He gave charming speeches that he insisted on writing himself. When he was in Eight and Eleven, he apologized for not being able to protect his allies. Both of the tribute's families cried.

It was always much harder to talk to the families of the tributes he killed, but they apparently found the struggling humanizing. Seven's little sister came up and tugged on his sleeve before he could get back on the train.

"I don't want you to feel guilty," she said quietly. "He's in a better place. We'll see him one day."

Finnick overheard Adrien crying himself to sleep that night.

In the Capitol, however, everyone was on fire for Adrien. Having seen the coverage of the games, the reunion with Annie, and the entire victory tour, it seemed everyone was excited to know everything going on with him.

Caesar Flickerman, however, was the only one that truly got the chance.

"So tell us!" He boomed like he wanted to draw attention to the conversation as if they weren't live on stage being broadcast to the world. "The last thing we saw was your big reunion with Annie. How is she?"

"She is going to be Annie Mackabee," Adrien grinned. Caesar's jaw dropped, and the Capitol let out a roar of delight. Everyone was clapping and cheering, and Adrien looked back in the wing for a split second to see Finnick grin in delight. No one would even think of gaining his favor through Snow.

"And when did this happen?" Caesar asked, obviously giddy to know a large piece of gossip was revealed on his show.

"A few weeks ago. It'll be a longer engagement because we want a big wedding and it'll take a lot of time to plan, but it'll be worth it. I almost fainted when I saw my ring on her finger," he smiled fondly.

The audiences cooed over him.

"And how did it happen?" Caesar asked, leaning forward.

"We were at the beach together, and we were bobbing in the water, splashing each other, and I just knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I've never known what it means to love and be loved so deeply before Annie. She's my best friend, my confidant, the one person I always want to come home to, and I want to build that home together."

"Wow," Caesar turned to the audience. "Wasn't that just the most adorable thing you've ever heard?"

Their cheering made told him they agreed.

"And how has your adjustment into the Victor's Village been?" Caesar asked.

"There are four victors in our district, Caesar," Adrien laughed. "One of them is my father, who found the village to be isolating and moved out, and the other three are all living together."