The Quarter Quell

"It's on!" Finnick heard Annie yell from inside the house

"It's on!" Finnick heard Annie yell from inside the house. He helped Mags out of her room and downstairs where Adrien and Annie were currently sitting.

They watched as the cheering crows waited for the big announcement on what this year's game would be.

"What was the Quell last time?" Adrien asked.

"Double the amount of tributes," Annie said quietly. "Haymitch won."

"I'm worried about this year," Finnick admitted. "I don't know what will happen with all the rumors of rebellion."

"Snow is going to pick the grandest way to squash anyone who's thinking about rebelling," Adrien said. "He's a strategist."

They turned their attention to the screen as Snow held out a hand to quiet the crowd in the Capitol.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the 75th year of the Hunger Games," he announced and the crowd started cheering loudly. Annie shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "It was written in the charter of the games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against the Capitol."

They all looked at one another. There had been an uprising here not long ago. Everything about this announcement seemed pointed at the districts. He wanted to diminish any hope they had of true rebellion before it could get worse.

Adrien tucked Annie into his side. She was growing increasingly nervous for all the children that were watching outside their doors.

"Each Quarter Quell is distinguished by games of a special significance," Snow continued. "And now, as this is the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the third Quarter Quell. As a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of the Capitol, the third Quarter Quell games, the male and female tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of victors..."

Finnick didn't hear anything Snow said after that. Annie let out a strangled cry, and he looked over to see Mags silently sobbing.

He couldn't breathe.

Everything he'd done. Everything he'd sacrificed for the Capitol had been for a protection that did not exist. Everything he'd done over the last decade had been for a promise Snow broke at the snap of his fingers.

He pulled Mags in for a hug. By the end of the year, two of them were most likely going to be dead. He was going to be dead. He knew he could never kill Mags or Annie, and he knew all of them would be willing to die and kill to protect one another.

He couldn't breathe.

He managed to stumble into the bathroom, where he promptly emptied his stomach.

**

No no no no no no no.

"Amara?" Jade asked carefully.