68th Hunger Games

In Amara's apartment, everyone was silent

In Amara's apartment, everyone was silent. And then:

"Well this just got interesting."

Everyone turned to look at Ezra, who just shrugged casually.

"He's right," Cashmere said. "And who knows what will happen if Adrien does win."

"The Heiress, whoever she is, just made an announcement to the world that she can predict the winner of the games. It ruins everything for Snow," Gloss added.

"For Snow?" Amara asked, leaning forward.

"Snow has the games on a tight leash," Seeder explained. "Sponsors pay a lot of money to send this in. It's one big game, and Snow is the puppet master. If he realizes he can't control it, he will eliminate her."

"You think he'll kill her?" Amara asked, horrified.

"Without a doubt," Finnick agreed. "If other sponsors trust what The Heiress says, no one will sponsor the other tributes. Think about all that money that will go to waste. And if people stop tuning in as soon as The Heiress declares a winner, they don't have a game."

"What if people try and prove her wrong?" Amara asked.

"It's a possibility, but this game just became a lot more interesting," Seeder said.

"And if The Heiress disrupts the games, she'll be declared a rebel," Ezra added. Cashmere glared at him.

"What did we say about talking like that?" she asked, but Ezra just waved her off.

"You were all thinking it," he pointed out.

"But none of us said it," Seeder said. "What you say has consequences."

"Speaking of which," Enobaria said. "We shouldn't be having this conversation in front of the illustrious Amara White."

"What you guys say in here won't leave this room," Amara promised. Enobaria snorted.

"Snow has every building bugged," Beetee told her, and Amara leapt up.

"What?" she yelped, horrified. "Well how do we turn it off?"

"We can't," Beetee said. "It's a direct feed."

Amara slumped in her chair.

"I don't like the idea of someone watching me. There's a reason I moved out."

"If it makes you feel any better, they don't pay attention unless they feel the need to. So, they're probably watching us right now because all the victors are gathered, but they don't pay attention to you otherwise."

"How do you know so much about this?" Amara asked. Beetee just shrugged.

"I installed them."

Amara's jaw dropped, but before she could say more, Ezra pointed at the screen.