A Red Rose

Finnick stood with Adrien as he stepped into the cylinder that would take him up to the Hunger Games

Finnick stood with Adrien as he stepped into the cylinder that would take him up to the Hunger Games. In less than a minute, he would be fighting for his life.

He couldn't believe he volunteered for this.

Adrien turned and looked at Finnick.

"I'll do everything I can to help you out here." Finnick reached forward and held his friend's hand. He had given him a tight hug before he stepped in, but there was no time for anymore of that now. "Don't step off the platform until you hear the alarm."

The doors began to close.

Adrien turned to look at Finnick with a panicked look in his eye, but they both knew Adrien was as ready as he would ever be. Finnick gave him a confident nod and watched as Adrien's face turned stony just as he disappeared from sight.

Finnick had been training Adrien for the last two years. He had spent almost every waking moment coaching him on how to win the games over the last week. Now, it was entirely up to Adrien.

The countdown started and Finnick sprinted out of the room. He boarded the hovercraft with the other mentors. Seeder reached out and grabbed his hand. Finnick glanced over at her, leaning into her touch. There had always been something comforting about the older woman's present.

Mags took the other seat beside him and began rubbing his back.

"He's going to win," Mags whispered reassuringly.

Everyone's eyes were trained on the screens as they made their way back to the Capitol. The bloodbath was brutal. To no one's surprise, everyone watched Haymitch take a swig from his flask when both his tributes were killed in the first three minutes.

They quickly lost the boys from eight, ten, six, and three. The girls from nine, five, six, seven, ten were lost too. By the end of the bloodbath, thirteen tributes remained, and eleven were dead.

When the hovercraft landed, Effie was standing outside with peacekeepers. Haymitch protested, but was eventually led away. Apparently, she didn't want him to suffer from alcohol poisoning because he just watched both his tributes die. Again.

He knew there would be a stretch that he was going to miss as he made it to Amara's apartment, and he could only hope that Adrien wouldn't die during that time.

Amara, however, was paying apt attention. She barely blinked as she stared at the screen in front of her. She watched as Adrien did exactly what she knew Finnick told him to do- he grabbed his pack and ran.

He got into a fight with the girl from five, but he was the one who walked away alive. She could see it on his face- the horror in his eyes when he made the killing blow. Still, she watched as he shook it off and ran for the woods.

He sat on the perimeter of the woods for a bit, watching as everything happened. She knew he was watching the Cornucopia for a good time to sprint out and grab weapons. The Career pack was monitoring it closely.