Consequences

Adrien noticed that Amara visibly relaxed as Finnick, Ezra, and Johanna reunited

Adrien noticed that Amara visibly relaxed as Finnick, Ezra, and Johanna reunited. He had never seen her so tense in the time he knew her.

Amara was typically relaxed and carefree around him, but when she was watching the screen, her back hunched as she leaned forward and her knee bouncing up and down, she was visibly terrified.

The games had been going on for less than 24 hours, and they'd barely paused for a bathroom break. None of them had eaten. However, a knock at the door pulled their attention away from the screen. Amara glanced around, but everyone that she needed was around her.

The knock sounded again, and Amara stood up to open it. She swung the door open to see a very agitated Mack, and a very angry Celeste.

"I don't believe you have permission to be here," Amara said, her eyes narrowing at the woman, but Celeste just grinned and nodded behind her toward a squad of peacekeepers.

"It seems even your receptionist can't defy the direct orders of the president," she said in a sickly-sweet voice.

A peacekeeper stepped forward.

"Miss White, President Snow wishes to speak with you."

Amara turned around and made eye contact with Haymitch, who looked ready to interject at any moment. Instead, she gave one sure nod, and he slid out of sight.

"Stay here," she told Mack. He looked like he might protest, but one glare from her told him everything he needed to know: she was not planning on returning, and she couldn't risk his life too.

The peacekeepers and Celeste led her to the elevator. When they reached the lobby, Penny looked terrified of the peacekeepers, but a small shake of Amara's head kept her seated safely behind her desk.

Amara was escorted into a large black vehicle. The tinted windows in the back and the way the peacekeepers were seated made it impossible for Amara to tell where they were going.

When the vehicle finally stopped, it was outside a building Amara had never paid attention to before. It was in the center of the city, so she recognized it, but it had always been another tall building surrounded by tall buildings.

When Amara was escorted in, they didn't even bother with the formalities of security. She was escorted right into a elevator, which felt like it went up for hours. When the doors opened, they stepped into a large grey room. President Snow was standing there with his back to them. He was staring at a window in front of him, overlooking where the gamemakers were sitting. She watched as they switched cameras and their hands moved quickly to make fast decisions over who to kill next.

The peacekeepers left her and Celeste in the room alone with him.

"You've made my life very difficult as of late, Miss White," Snow said as he stared out at the blue room. He paused for a moment before turning around. "Why?"