The Drive

At exactly 8:00 the next morning, Amara found herself  outside Coin's office

At exactly 8:00 the next morning, Amara found herself  outside Coin's office. She knocked tentatively before squaring her  shoulders and knocking loudly a second time. The door stood open and  Boggs stared down at her.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, but Coin waved her in.

"I asked for a mission report," she explained. "I want to hear her side of the story."

Boggs  didn't leave until Coin gave a curt dismissal which sent him out the  door. Coin gestured to the table in front of her and Amara sat.

"Can  I offer you water?" Coin asked, but Amara shook her head. She was still  feeling bitter about Coin arresting her and was ready to leave this  conversation as soon as possible.

"How's Katniss?" she asked.

"Still  sleeping," Coin said. "We have doctors monitoring her around the clock,  and they think that she will make a full recovery."

"And Prim?" Amara asked. Coin looked confused. "Her sister. She's studying to become a doctor. What was her assessment?"

"I didn't ask," she said bluntly. She studied Amara. "I must confess, you are not who I expected the Heiress to be, Miss White."

"The  Heiress had to be someone with a lot of money who hated the Capitol,"  Amara pointed out. "What exactly did you expect? I'm sure someone  mentioned my relationship with Finnick and the other victors."

"You were still raised in the Capitol. Your life thrives there. Why turn away from all of that?"

"Because  I watched as child after child was sent into the arena to die. I  watched as it destroyed the victors. I wanted to do my part. I won't  pretend my being the Heiress was some noble deed at first. I did it because I  wanted to be just as involved in the games as the people around me. And  then the longer I did it, the more I fell in love with who these people  were. They were no longer tributes in a game. They were people sent for  slaughter."

"And so you contacted Plutarch," Coin assumed, but Amara shook her head.

"I  tried to choose a victor who had the most to lose. Victors with  humanity and love in their lives. I humanized the victors for the  Capitol. And when I couldn't stand it anymore, Jade and Tigris led  Plutarch to me."

"You were quite the benefactor," Coin mused, and Amara leaned back in her chair with a smirk.

"I am very excited to see what my money has done for this revolution," she said.

"On  behalf of the entire rebellion, thank you for everything you've done  for us," Coin said. "None of this would have been possible without you."

Amara's smirk shifted into a small smile.

"The best part about the country we're building is that we'll all need each other."

"How did you get out of there?" Coin asked.