Mentoring

Finnick found that being a mentor was easy

Finnick found that being a mentor was easy. His tributes wanted nothing to do with him.

"You're a child," Vixen sneered. "We have two years of training on you, and you think there's something you can teach us?"

"We've been preparing for this our entire lives. We know what we're doing," Devin said. "Besides, you're training that freak Adrien. You clearly don't have good judgement."

So, Finnick kicked back and relaxed. All of them watched the other tributes' reaping. They only focused on the other careers.

"Everyone knows the other districts aren't a threat," Vixen rolled her eyes.

The other careers did look menacing, and Vixen and Devin began noting their physical appearances, judging them based on how fast and strong they assumed they would be.

"We can build a strong team and kill everyone else first," Devin said, and Vixen nodded.

Finnick just rolled his eyes.

Pride would be the death of them both. He had no confidence in either of them.

Now that he didn't have to worry about doing any mentoring, Finnick spent most of his time anticipating seeing Amara White again. He wondered if she had thought about him at all in the last few months.

As he lay in bed that night, he toyed with the box in his hands. He hoped she would like the small reminder of his district. The shell necklace had been made for her, after all. Hopefully the token of friendship she offered before he left would still stand.

Little did he know that across the country, Amara White was about to spend the entire day thinking about her.

**

The day after the reaping, Amara was popping popcorn when Tigris and Jade walked into the apartment. She had become rather close with her the two in the recent months. Tigris was always willing to consult when Jade needed it, and the frequent visits meant they started to get along famously.

"It's almost time!"

Amara popped some popcorn in her mouth as she poured it into the bowl, wincing at how hot it was as she ran over, plopping down on the couch.

Caesar Flickerman appeared on the screen with a wide smile. His hair was blue this year and he opened his arms to welcome the audience behind the screen.

"Welcome to the annual 66th Hunger Games!" All three cheered, and all three winced when they tossed the hot popcorn into their mouths.

"We have a very interesting selection of tributes this year," Caesar told his co-host, Claudius Templesmith. "I think we can expect a good game this year."

"I completely agree," Claudius said. "As we know, Districts One and Two are typically our winners, but I just loved the confidence of the tributes from Four."