Something Real

Amara sounded incredible during her performance, but Finnick was hardly paying attention

Amara sounded incredible during her performance, but Finnick was hardly paying attention. As he sat with the other victors, he felt like there were multiple pairs of eyes on him the entire time. He caught Enobaria's eye at least three times, and he could feel Haymitch openly staring at him.

It seemed that more than just Cashmere was worried about him.

Ezra was the only one that wasn't looking at him in fear, and he had a lot to say. Ezra started talking about his tributes from the moment he sat down to the moment Amara started singing.

"How do you do it?" he finally asked after the show was over. Finnick looked over at him. His mind was still racing from his conversation the night before. So, he told Ezra the same thing he told Amara.

"Make sure they remember who they're fighting for."

Finnick managed to make a hasty escape as soon as he said that. Ezra nodded thoughtfully and turned to focus on his own tributes, so Finnick was able to give his tributes a small part of his attention.

He would be lying if he said that his mind was almost completely focused on what Cashmere and Amara said yesterday. He had no intention of inciting rebellion before today, so why was he suddenly terrified of stepping out of line? If his every move had been watched from the moment he stepped out of the arena, why were they only worried about it now?

What about being sixteen changed everything?

"You two did well," Finnick said as he and Mags guided the two tributes into the elevator.

"Make sure you get a good night's rest because your official training starts tomorrow," Mags said. "You want to find out who is going to make a good ally."

"And while you want to show off your skills, you don't want to lay everything on the table," Finnick added.

Both tributes nodded, mentally absorbing everything that was said.

When the elevator doors opened, however, all four stopped in shock.

Amara White stood in the foyer, her arms cross her over her chest as she glared at Finnick. The tributes stumbled over, offering her their hands. It seemed that people in the districts did know who she was, even if Finnick didn't before his tour.

"I'm such a huge fan," Janera shook her hand, excitedly. "Could I get your autograph?"

"My sisters and I would dance to your songs in the kitchen all the time," Holden gushed. "We were a big fan of your newest album. We stayed up all night listening to it on repeat."

As his tributes fangirled over Amara, Finnick's heart broke a little more. They were lethal fighters who volunteered for the games. Before this moment, he saw them as nothing more than tributes wanting to bring honor to their district. Now, however, he watched as they became kids again.

"Alright, alright," Mags laughed, watching as Amara continued to glare at Finnick in-between whenever Janera and Holden would look away from her. "Let's let Amara yell at Finnick. You two need to get some rest."