One Friend at a Time

Amara wanted to fire her styling team

"What is this?" she asked Celeste. She was being sent to a party tonight, and her stylist decided that dressing her in an orange princess dress was the way to go.

Celeste walked into her room and glanced down at the dress with a frown.

"This... is what was sent over?" she asked. Amara nodded.

"I'm not wearing it," she declared, and Celeste shook her head as she carefully picked up the fabric like it was diseased.

"What on earth?" Astrid asked, walking into the room. "You will look ridiculous in that color."

"You'll look like a tangerine," her father added on. Amara threw her hands in the air and plopped on the bed.

"I guess I can't go," she said with a shrug, and Celeste rolled her eyes.

"Don't be dramatic. Of course we will make it work."

"You want to me to try and wear that thing?" Amara asked, appalled.

"Absolutely not," Celeste decreed. "This is the third time your style team has messed up your outfits in the last two weeks. We'll simply replace them."

"Just like that?" Amara asked, and Celeste nodded. "Can we get someone who doesn't want to make me look like..."

She trailed off, unsure where to go with that sentence.

"A walking flame?" Astrid suggested.

"A fruit?" Edwin added.

"Dead inside?" Celeste threw out. They all looked at the dress, horrified.

**

The next morning, Amara was all anyone could talk about. Caesar Flickerman was immediately commenting on her lack of attendance at the party from the night before. It was to honor a congressman who had recently been elected, and her presence showed her support.

"But perhaps it isn't as bad as we all fear," Caesar added on. "I have it on good authority that Amara White's style team has recently been fired. Was it perhaps a wardrobe snafu? We'll keep you posted."

Amara snorted and muted the TV, scribbling away in her journal. She only bothered looking up when the door opened and Celeste stepped out carrying the most beautiful dress Amara had ever seen.

Behind her was a girl barely older than Amara. She was short with her black hair pulled out of her face and into an elaborate twist. She wore blue eye shadow, black eyeliner, and a leather dress. Celeste was grinning from ear to ear as she glided into the room.

"Good morning," she sang. Amara winced. It was too early for this.

"Hello," Amara tilted her head to the side to meet the girl behind her. The girl gave her an awkward smile and a wave.

"Amara," Celeste grinned. "This is Jade. She was just showcasing some of her work. We're debating hiring her."

Amara raised a brow and crossed her arms, looking between Jade and Celeste. Despite being dressed like she deserved the job, the girl was clearly nervous.

"And who is 'we'?" Celeste shrugged.

"Well, I suppose just myself," she then leaned into Amara and whispered. "Although I don't think I like her."

Poor Jade heard her though, and slumped slightly. Amara looked over at the dress that was hanging.

"How many people have you looked at?" she asked. Celeste shrugged.

"Maybe a dozen or so."

"A dozen?" Amara asked, flabbergasted. Celeste shrugged as if this wasn't a big deal.

"None of them had the style that our fans are used to," Celeste pointed out.

"We don't want the same style. If we did, we wouldn't have fired our entire styling team," Amara pointed out, and stood up from the couch, walking over to the dress. Jade perked up and looked between the two.

The dress was a green and with a sheer train. It was accented by a gold stitching and criss-crossed over her chest, around her neck, and down her back. It looked gorgeous. She looked over at Celeste's hands and noticed she was holding what looked like a portfolio in her hands. She snatched it up and began to flip through it.

Her name was at the top, and there must have been hundreds of designs. They were all within her color wheel, and all beautiful.

"Did you do all of this last night?" Amara asked, flipping through the book. Jade shook her head.

"I've wanted to be a designer since I first learned how to draw," she said. "I've been using you as my inspiration for the last few years."

Amara continued to flip through the book, noting how she would be willing to wear everything that Jade had designed.

"What was the largest team you've worked with?" she asked.

"I've never actually tried to do this professionally. I technically haven't even finished school."

"How old are you?" Amara asked.

"Sixteen."

Amara grinned. Jade was only a year older than her.

"How many people do you think you would need to pull this off?" Amara asked. Jade shrugged.

"Maybe two or three?" she said, unsure. "I've been studying under Tigris. She's one of the designers in the games. She's been mentoring me since I was little. I'm used to doing most things myself."

Jade was smiling softly as she talked about Tigris. It was clear she looked up to her. Amara continued to flip through the book and then she nodded.

"You're hired," Amara said. Jade jumped, surprised.

"What?" both she and Celeste asked at the same time.

"We want something new and fresh," Amara said. "And I happen to like your style. You can start on Monday."

"Amara," Celeste tried to step in, but a sharp look from her client silenced her. "Welcome to the team, Jade. We'll get you started on paperwork. There's an NDA, obviously..." Celeste droned on, and Amara watched in amusement as Jade looked more and more excited the longer Celeste talked. She suspected that if Celeste put a clause about selling her kidney to Amara, Jade would still sign it.

The two began to walk out of the apartment, and Amara grinned as she watched them walk away.

One friend down, one friend to go.