Last Moments

"Are you crazy?" Ezra asked as he threw open the door to Amara's apartment

After the interview fiasco, all the victors had been led away by their stylists, escorts, and mentors. Amara had been pulled into a room by Jade, who muttered something about her being either crazy or a fool, stripped her out of her extravagant dress, tossed her into something more comfortable, and got her back to her apartment without a fuss.

Amara knew it was an idiotic thing to do. She knew what she did would be seen as an act of rebellion from the Capitol, but she didn't care.

Jade would be taken care of, and the only people that she loved would be going into that arena to be killed anyway. Yes, there was a plan to get everyone out, but if it didn't work? If Finnick died, what else would Amara have? She could possibly sneak into District Four and get on that boat like Adrien and Annie suggested, but what was life without her Finnick?

So, no, she didn't care. She didn't care when Jade scolded her. She didn't care when Caesar looked at her in alarm. She didn't care when Ezra burst into the door with the other victors in tow.

"You made your spiel. Why wasn't I allowed to have mine?" she asked, and put a mug of hot tea in his hands. Ezra rolled his eyes, but drank it anyway. She could see the way he relaxed slightly despite being so angry with her.

"The difference is that Snow is already sending us into an arena to die," Johanna said. "You can still be touched."

"I have the protection of my name," she pointed out, and Beetee laughed.

"You just told everyone that this was your last performance. No one will expect to see you again."

Amara stopped short at that. She didn't think about that.

"You're not going to say anything?" Ezra asked, turning on Adrien and Finnick. The two just shrugged.

"I think you covered it all," Adrien said.

"I have fifteen hours with Amara," Finnick said. "I don't want to spend any of them fighting."

Ezra sighed and took another sip of tea.

"You're either crazy or a fool," Johanna said.

"That's what Jade said," Amara grinned, but it quickly left when she saw the glare Johanna sent her way. She was very angry at Amara for standing up to the Capitol for someone who just cursed at all of them.

Finnick took a step forward and pulled her into his arms, kissing the top of his forehead.

"I need you to be safe," he whispered into her hair, and she nodded.

"I hate what they're doing to you," she said.

"None of us like it, but if I get out of that arena, I can't live without you."

Johanna gagged, and everyone looked at her.

"If you two are always going to be like this, can we go back to a time where you just lived in agony for not expressing your feelings?"