The Reapings

Amara wasn't allowed on stage, so Iris put her back on the train until it was over

Amara spent the entire time pacing. She paced so much that she was able to see the imprint of her feet in the carpet.

Then, she went to the bathroom and emptied her stomach.

Then she paced some more.

Iris was the first one on the train. Amara knew what happened from the moment Iris wouldn't meet her eye.

It was Mags who got on the train next, followed closely by Finnick. Adrien was the last one on. He gave her a sad smile before turning his attention to Mags. Finnick wasted no time in pulling Amara into his arms.

She choked out a sob as he held her.

"It's going to be okay," he promised, but Amara wasn't so sure.

"Where's Annie?" she asked, but Finnick shook his head.

"Not here," he said. He led Amara to their room. When he closed the door, he laughed when he saw she'd already made herself comfortable.

"What's going on?" Amara asked, not caring that he looked so elated to find her moved in.

"Katniss Everdeen has caused quite a stir," he said. Amara didn't need to be told that though. After all, she was the one who chose the girl as a symbol of rebellion. She was shocked Plutarch or Jade hadn't mentioned the uprisings in the districts. "Snow is not happy with her. The victors' reaping is too lucky to just be luck."

"It was planned," Amara assumed, and Finnick nodded.

"Snow is willing to kill the victors to make sure Katniss and Peeta die. Something tells me the worst place for Annie to be right now is in the Capitol. We don't want her anywhere near Snow."

"You told her to stay," she realized, and he nodded. "But Adrien came."

"Someone has to mentor us through the games. No one else is able to send us sponsor gifts and if we want any chance at staying alive, someone had to come."

**

"I want you both to forget everything you think you know about the games," Haymitch said as he poured himself a drink. The moment the train landed and they settled into the apartment, he knew it was time. "Last year was child's play. This year, you're dealing with all experienced killers."

"Alright," Peeta said. "What does that mean for us?"

"That means you're going to have to have some allies."

"Okay," Peeta nodded. "I think that if we--"

But Haymitch held up a hand. "You're not the problem." He pointed at Katniss, who didn't care to hide her distaste at the idea.

"No," she said bluntly.

"Look, you're starting at a disadvantage," he said. "Most of these people have been friends for years."