Existential

The only reason Amara emerged from her room was because she had to

The only reason Amara emerged from her room was because she had to. After moping around in existential distress for days, the day of the interviews finally came, and at the request of President Snow, she was once again singing to close out the ceremony.

No one said anything about her recent behavior as they got her ready. Jade attempted to, but one snap from Amara nipped that attempt in the bud. No one else tried.

Finnick hadn't heard anything from Amara since he yelled at her, and if she was unwilling to give him something real about herself, he wasn't going to pressure her friendship. He had Annie and Adrien. As far as he was concerned, that was all he needed.

If Amara was only befriending him to be Snow's eyes and ears, he certainly didn't want anything to do with it.

He just wished it wouldn't hurt so much.

He was standing with his tributes when she emerged from her dressing room. She looked as elegant as ever, and Jade proudly stood behind her. Janera and Holden looked like they were going to burst in excitement when she started to walk over to them.

"Can we talk?" she asked Finnick quietly, but his tributes were quickly pulling unwanted attention their way. It seemed their excitement caught the eye of just about everyone around them.

"Amara!" Celeste called, gesturing her over. She hesitated, turning back to Finnick.

"Please-" But Celeste had grabbed her wrist and dragged her over.

"I'm not sure what has gotten into you the last week, but you need to pull it together," Celeste snapped. "You've been distracted recently, and that boy isn't helping."

"I've been having a rough time," Amara scoffed, not liking the way Celeste was referring to Finnick. She glanced over her shoulder at him.

"No you haven't," Celeste said, rolling her eyes. "You're Amara White. Nothing in your life is hard." Amara flinched at the statement, and Finnick took a step forward, hoping to catch more of what the woman was saying. Her face screamed that she was in distress, and he hated that he didn't know why. "You don't have the luxury of moping around for a week. Get out there and perform."

"I've spent my life performing," Amara retorted. "Have you ever considered how exhausting it is?"

"I don't care," Celeste growled. "Put on a smile and do your job. Your life is easy, your life is fun, your life is relaxed, your life is a dream. Now go show those people how lucky you are to be you."

Amara was shoved toward the stage before she could comprehend much of what Celeste said. Amara glanced back briefly to see the smirk on her face. In that moment, Amara realized that Celeste had no respect for her.

She glanced over at Finnick, and all she wanted to do was curl into his arms and cry. But as much as she despised her manager in this moment, she knew she was right. The Hunger Games was the biggest event of the year. This was not the time or the place to break down.