Rose Petals

Finnick wanted to see Amara again

Finnick wanted to see Amara again. The days were winding down, and reaping day was getting closer and closer.

His flower was almost dead.

Mags walked in on him staring at it once, and tried not to laugh when he started talking to it like the flower would suddenly spring to life if he asked it to.

But he couldn't change the fact that it was a flower, and five months between visits to see her simply wouldn't do. After all, he now had a friend back home, but if he wanted a friend in the Capitol, he needed to make sure her flower didn't die on him.

Adrien walked into the Victor's Village that morning ready to train with his teacher, who had taken to having him over now that the academy was out. They tried to give their students a small rest break before reaping day, but the students who were ready to volunteer continued to train on their own.

What Adrien found instead of the usually hard-headed teacher was a softie. Finnick Odair was talking to a plant. It was a dead rose, to be specific. Mags let Adrien in that day and shushed him as they crept up the stairs together, poking their heads into Finnick's room.

Finnick was facing the window, his chin resting on his hands as he looked at the flower sitting in the sun.

"So, here's the deal," he said, and both Adrien and Mags fought back laughter. "I really need you to make it to reaping day because I want to show Amara I care about her gift. So, I'm going to start giving you water with more electrolytes. Your job is to drink as much of it as you can. Stay strong for me-"

Adrien couldn't hold it in any longer. He bust out laughing. Finnick jumped up, bumping into the legs of the stool he was on and falling over. This made Adrien laugh even more. Mags was giggling beside him.

"He's been doing this for the last four months," she said. "I'm so glad the two of you became friends because if his only friend was a rose, that would be sad."

Finnick turned red and stood up from the ground, brushing off imaginary dirt.

"I need her to know I appreciate the gift," Finnick protested.

"It's sad," Mags said, and Adrien leaned around Finnick to get a better look at the dying rose.

"Finnick, that thing is dead, and it has been for a long time," Adrien said. Finnick looked at the flower and sighed. This was the last thing he wanted. He wanted Amara to see the rose the next time he saw her.

"So what do I do?" he asked. Adrien grinned, loving that he was starting to see the boy behind the victor.

"I know a place," he said, but paused as if he was reconsidering it.

"Are you okay?" Finnick asked. Adrien faltered for a moment before nodding.

"Come on; grab your flower."