Day of Reckoning

"Annie?" Finnick called out as the door to the flower shop chimed

"Annie?" Finnick called out as the door to the flower shop chimed. Annie, who was usually sitting behind the desk, was nowhere to be found. If it were any other day, he would assume she was with Adrien, but he was told to meet her in the shop after dawn so he could grab the bracelet he made for Amara.

When no one answered, Finnick appeared around the corner of the shop. There was a back room that he never went into. He wasn't sure if that was where Annie and her parents lived, or if it was just where they kept the extra merchandise, but he had never been allowed back there. Rather awkwardly, Finnick took a few steps toward the counter and poked his head around the corner.

Nothing.

He took another step in and craned his neck to see if he could spot her.

Nothing.

Right before he stepped back into the main part of the store, Annie walked through a curtain. Her face was blotchy and her eyes were bright red.

"Annie," he breathed. She brushed past him and walked toward the front counter, trying to hide how puffy her face was. He followed her. "Annie," he said again.

"I have the bracelet ready for you," she said, reaching beneath the counter and pulling it out.

"Annie," he said again. She took a step back and raised up a hand. Finnick paused mid-step.

"I can't do this right now, Finnick," she said. "I am about to watch the love of my life walk off to fight to the death. He'll be here in an hour and I need to be composed and excited for him. So please, let me sell you this bracelet, and then please leave me to cry in peace."

Finnick nodded and reached into his pocket to pay for it. He pulled out the money and handed it to her, but when she took it, he took the opportunity to grab her hand.

"I want you to know, I'm going to do everything I can to get Adrien out of that arena," he said, and Annie nodded.

"I know."

**

Mags could tell Finnick was terrified. In fact, everyone could tell Finnick was terrified. A part of him still hoped someone would jump up and volunteer before Adrien, but he knew it was unlikely.

Mackabee wasn't doing much better than Finnick. In fact, he was doing considerably worse. He and Finnick were pacing back and forth in front of the door to the justice building.

"You've trained him for the last two years," Mackabee muttered to Finnick.

"He's as ready as he'll ever be," Finnick agreed. Mags glanced at both of them, concerned. It was clear they were trying to reassure themselves more than each other.

Iris popped her head out. She was, as always, dressed in purple.

"Finnick!" she exclaimed, walking over and giving him a kiss on each cheek. "I was worried when I went by the house and you weren't there. I'm so glad you made it on time."