Propositions

"The Presidential Palace! The party of the year," Effie cooed as they walked up the steps

"The Presidential Palace! The party of the year," Effie cooed as they walked up the steps. "Eyes bright, chins up, smiles on. I'm talking to you, Katniss."

Katniss didn't even bother looking at Effie. Snow's home was large. It was exactly the kind of place she expected him to live while the majority of his nation were dying in shacks and hovels.

"Now," Effie continued, "there will be photographers, interviews, everyone will be here to celebrate you, my victors."

Katniss could tell Effie was practically bursting at the seams. She was so proud of them, and she was so proud of herself as well. After years of never having a victor, she finally had two. Effie stopped and stared out at the mansion.

"Breathe it all in, children," she said as she turned around to look at both of them. "This is all for you."

"It's cozy," Peeta said dryly, but Effie just glared at him.

"Attitude," she snapped before turning back toward the mansion and taking a deep breath. "Come come."

The mansion seemed even grander on the inside. Effie was clearly thrilled to be the one showing them around and introducing them to everyone that was important.

The halls were lined with people cheering and clapping for them as they walked through room after room. It must have been Effie's first time there as well because she was remarking things that Katniss wouldn't have even noticed-- including, but not limited to, the curtains.

There was even a man breathing fire outside.

"Everybody who's anybody is here, and they all want to meet you." Katniss thought the entire event was extreme and overdone, but she and Peeta followed Effie through the mansion.

"Oh! Amara!" Effie suddenly shouted. Katniss and Peeta looked over to see Amara White walking toward them. She had a big grin on her face and was wearing a black jeweled dress that hugged her in all the right places. She looked stunning.

"Effie," Amara smiled, kissing the woman on each cheek.

"You remember Katniss and Peeta," Effie said, and the singer turned her sight on them. Amara smiled widely and kissed both of them on each cheek.

"You both did an amazing job out there," she said, and Katniss could hear how forced the words were. "I was so thrilled they allowed both of you to win." That was genuine, and Katniss saw a bit of the mask the singer wore slip slightly.

Katniss forced a smile on her face.

"I was so overcome by love that I didn't know how I would live without him," she said, grabbing Peeta's hand and pulling him slightly closer.

Amara raised a brow and looked like she was forcing back a smile. She leaned in so that only the two of them could hear her.

"You're going to have to do better than that," she muttered. "Don't forget you're still playing the game." She pulled away and the fake smile she wore was once more plastered on her face. "Enjoy the party."