A Glimpse of the Future

When Amara woke up the next morning, she did it in Finnick's arms

When Amara woke up the next morning, she did it in Finnick's arms. The two had stayed up so late the night before talking about the plan he concocted with Adrien and Annie that she was sure this was the right thing to do.

She would be able to build a future with her best friends. She would miss Jade and her music, but she knew Jade would have no issue finding another job, and she could bring her music with her.

She hadn't spoken to her family in years, and while she didn't tell Finnick, she took great joy in thinking about the look on Celeste's face when she realized Amara was gone.

And so the two promptly fell asleep curled up in each other's arms late into the night.

They had a plan that meant they could be together. When he felt her stirring, he gripped her waist so that she wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

"What are you doing?" he groaned. She giggled and angled her head to look at him.

"I need to brush my teeth," she giggled. "You're not going to want to kiss me with my morning breath."

A sleepy grin passed over Finnick's face.

"I always want to kiss you," he said. Amara rolled her eyes and managed to squirm her way away from him.

He groaned when she leapt out of bed to use the bathroom, but blinked blearily as he watched her move around. This was something she could get used to: a life where they woke up in each other's arms sounded wonderful.

"I have something for you," he said as she climbed back in bed. He reached into his bag-- the one he was thankful he had the confidence to drop off here before going to the party-- and pulled out a small box.

Amara curled into his side as she took it.

"I think it might be a bit soon for that," she teased. He gave her an adoring look.

"It isn't, but that's not what it is." She giggled and opened the lid to see a small rose necklace. It was exactly like the one he made for himself.

"You know, ten years ago today you gave me a red rose as a token of our friendship," he said. "So I wanted to return the favor."

A tear slipped down her cheek as she looked at the small piece of jewelry. She carefully removed it from the box and handed it to him.

"Will you put it on?" she asked. The two sat up and Finnick slowly clasped the necklace around her neck. She looked down at it. "I love it." She angled her head back and pressed a light kiss on his lips. "I love you."

Finnick deepened the kiss slightly, and he felt a flicker of joy. He knew this would be the rest of his life, and he loved it. He loved everything about her. He was so in love with her that he wouldn't have cared if the piece of jewelry inside that box had been a ring because he knew there was no one else he wanted to spend his life with.