Making History

As the days went by, Amara and Finnick realized that the odds of Mags getting her ability to speak back was low

As the days went by, Amara and Finnick realized that the odds of Mags getting her ability to speak back was low. They spent all their time next to her, and only knew what was happening in the games because Mags insisted they turn it on.

She was getting better at nonverbal communication. She used a lot of hand gestures, or would request writing material if she needed to say something complicated.

For the most part, she preferred the distraction of the games. Amara and Finnick preferred that relief as well because Mags wasn't as stressed when she was watching the games.

They were quickly coming to an end, and everyone knew it. The tributes were dwindling, and it was obvious to everyone watching that the tributes from Twelve were going to win.

After June, or "Foxface" as Katniss liked to call her, was killed eating the berries, something that given how smart the girl seemed, Amara wondered if the tribute decided to leave the games on her own terms, they all knew it was almost over.

The gamemakers seemed to know it too because it wasn't long before they started speeding up time. Clearly, they were ready for the finale, and they just needed the tributes to realize it too.

Thresh was quickly killed by muttations, and then it was down to just Cato, the boy from One against the lovers from Twelve. Cato seemed rather desperate to make it out alive, and he knew that the odds were not going to be in his favor.

A knock on the door drew their attention away from the games. Ezra walked in with a small smile on his face. He was holding a small bouquet of roses. He leaned down to kiss Mags on both cheeks, and put the flowers at the end of her bed. Mags actually blushed, and it took all of Amara's self control not to laugh at that.

"How are you feeling?" he asked. Mags just shrugged. "Were they able to figure out what was wrong?" Mags smiled sadly and looked over at Finnick.

"She had a stroke," he explained, "and it affected the communication portion of her brain. Odds are that she won't be able to talk again."

Ezra was silent for a moment before he sat on the side of her bed.

"My sister was born deaf," he said, "and we used hand signals to communicate with her. I can teach you if you'd like."

Mags nodded hesitantly, but Amara could see it in her eyes that she just wanted to be able to use her voice again. All she wanted was to be able to talk freely like she'd been able to do just over a week ago.

All three victors were staring at Mags when she jolted up, staring intently at the screen. They looked over, shocked, to see that Cato was holding his sword to Peeta's throat.

"It seems we've entered the finale," Ezra muttered. He noticed Mags' horror as the camera pointed at Katniss. Clearly the young tribute had no idea what to do. He gently grabbed her hand in his own and held it carefully.