A Price to Pay

Finnick was getting nervous

Finnick was getting nervous. His life had been suspiciously quiet since they returned home. There were no summons from Snow, and it didn't look like he was going to make good on his promise. The problem with Snow was that he was a dangerously patient man, and he was willing to wait a very long time before he decided to strike.

"You ready?" Finnick asked as he popped his head into Adrien's room. Adrien nodded and stepped into the hallway.

"I'm going to tell my dad today," Adrien said as they walked down the stairs. The moment he felt well enough to be a functional member of society, Mags had sent him to his dad like she promised she would.

Typically, there were allowed to be two mentors per tribute, but a victor wasn't required to be a mentor if someone else already filled those shoes.

"Are you sure?" Finnick asked, and Adrien nodded.

"I have no desire to go back to the Capitol if I don't have to. He's offered me a job where I can teach. And when you're gone, I can fill in your classes."

Finnick understood why he would want to stay as far away from the Capitol as possible, but a very large part of him wished he could have his friend's company while he was away.

"Besides, I'd like to stay with my fiancé," Adrien winked. That was something Finnick did understand. So, he shrugged his backpack on and the two walked downstairs, where Mags was standing, toying with the keys.

For the most part, they kept the door unlocked because there was always someone around, but Mags was very particular about locking up when they left.

"What's the decision?" she asked. Adrien smiled sadly.

"I'm staying," he said. She nodded understandingly, but wasted no time in tugging them both out the door. She locked and unlocked it, and then made Adrien try twice. She always said that it was a difficult thing to do, but Finnick had never found anything hard about it, and it seemed that Adrien agreed.

She locked the door one final time and gave him the key.

"Don't let anyone rob us when we're gone. Every time you leave this house, you lock the door. Got it?"

Adrien just nodded and took the keys. Then, Mags plastered her normal smile on and trodded down the steps. Finnick and Adrien just watched her with questioning stares.

"C'mon, you two, we're going to be late."

**

The justice building was swarmed with people. Peacekeepers were working hard to prepare the train for the journey back, and Iris had a large group of them attending to her.

"Mackabee," Finnick said as the man approached them. He held out a hand and the two shook. Mackabee turned to Adrien.

"Have you decided what you want to do?" he asked nervously.