Additional Part 24: Sibling Disputes

Hey guys!! New part!! First, sorry I’m late updating, but! it’s a bigger chapter… almost four thousand words long. Second, hope I got it right... hope I got Rafe's apology right..? and that I didn’t muck it up- once again not perfect... anyway this is the first steps in my story for the siblings to mending the disputes between them. Anyways, and as always hope I did ok! I’m tired and going to have a long sleep lol enjoy guys!!! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When it had been Sarah that had stepped through the bleak hallway to collect the two, JJ and Rafe returned their gaze up to look at her in surprise. She passed through the hall, looking as though she’d had a few things on her mind, and had wanted to make things quick and be out as soon as possible.  

It had been a few hours later- after JJ had explained everything to Rafe, everything- including how Kie hadn’t known a thing of what had happened to Tannyhill until that night… he had explained how she or the other pogues hadn’t known how the land had been swindled from Rafe, or who had been involved, or even why they’d been after the property in the first place. 

Together with the fact Kie had been expecting, the churning in Rafe’s gut grew more on thoughts of what he’d put Kie through. His face discolored the more JJ spoke, the more he’d explained things, and especially whenever Kie’s name came up- guilt pooled incredibly fast and twisted in his gut… it had been a whole lot to take on within the last couple of hours.. Every time he thought of their last interaction, it would replay in his head so vividly, and another surge of guilt shoot through him intensely, making him feel ill… she was pregnant and he couldn’t do anything to be there for her while he’d been stuck within these walls, and that thought made him want to vomit, made his veins burn- he needed to get out- he needed to go to her-

The only thing he could do was to keep himself busy until she would arrive, as JJ promised she would. So he endlessly paced the small tight space of the cell, fidgeting with his ring, shirt, or whatever he could… he needed to see her… the tugging at his chest was insane, he needed to do something. Having to be forced to wait was driving his mind mad- if he could just squeeze through these damn bars and find a way out…? He was stuck, and his chest felt fiercely tight- the overwhelming feeling to protect her was like an insanely primal urge, an instinct, crushing every single fiber of his being…

Shit- why had he always needed to mess things up!- his dad had been right, he was a failure- why was he so damn useless? Now this Jude guy was still out there- and what if he could still cause problems and Rafe couldn’t be there to protect her!… Rafe bawls his hands between his head, trying to squeeze the thoughts out of his mind. She had to bail him out now! Why was she taking so long- JJ promised she would be here! Rafe tries controlling his breathing, feeling his pulse race… maybe it’s because of him, he thinks, his heart heavy… he needed to tell her he was deeply sorry- he needed to beg her to forgive him, he’d made a big mistake and he wouldn’t do it again- he’d promise her that- he’d make it his long life promise- 

Ways he could apologize begins to loop over in his mind as he’d paced the small dismal cell about a thousand times, with JJ silently eyeing Rafe from the corner of his eye. One memory in particular kept looping back to Rafe… how he’d rolled that ring in his palm…he’d turned it over in his palm… the ring that would perfectly fit her beautiful finger… the thought of her wearing did something to his heart- it lit up something bright in his chest… the one he’d bought her… the one he’d hoped would make Kie his wife one day… that thought makes his heart pound strong… he’d been scared to ask her… what if she had thought it was too soon… what if it’d scare her off… truth be told, he’d been terrified of how she’d respond.