A Dive into the Nomicon

Mac Antfree was the reason that a person can only be a Ninja for 4 years. 

It was fine before. 

Sure, their were other corrupt Ninjas. It happens.

But Mac Antfree was a special case.

He didn't just abuse his powers or ignore his duties. He failed to learn the ultimate lesson and got back in the Nomicon after being "Fired."

It was unforgivable.

The Nomicon couldn't let it happen again.

Yes, it was a lot of work to train a new Ninja by scratch every four years, but it was a necessary precaution.

A new Ninja will be chosen every 4 years, the complete amount of time it takes for a person to graduate high school. It doesn't matter if a Ninja is held back a year. That's how Antfree got extra time.

Ninjas were already beginning to retire after 4 years. Most people as the world modernized realized they didn't want to be the Ninja for the rest of their life. 

It's harder to find dedicated people to fight evil despite what the superhero movies say.

Sure, people say they would love to be a hero. 

But put it into practice?

"Yeah, no... Sorry, I just realized I want a life. And sleep. Sleep is great. Thanks for the experience though. Super fun. Wish I didn't have to forget it all but this was cool."

And the Nomicon let them.

Why?

Because a Ninja who wasn't dedicated would never be a good fit. They would slowly resent the Ninja and abuse their power. 

The Nomicon didn't want that.

So it let them leave.

Picking a new Ninja wasn't hard. The Nomicon had a trusted advisor for that. (The Creep)

Saying goodbye?

That was always a little harder.

The Nomicon never tried to get attached to the Ninjas. They were only a moment the span of eternity after all. But the bond between mentor and student always prevailed. The Nomicon couldn't help it.

The only Ninja that the Nomicon wasn't a mentor to was the First Ninja. They are equals. (Even if the Nomicon technically holds more knowledge) So they are content with mentoring together should the moment arise.

First Ninja is not always a required mentor and anytime not mentoring is used to enjoy his retirement/afterlife.