Why did the Nomicon send Randy?

The Nomicon had to send someone to 1912 to deal with the worse of the demons.

It had 800 years of Ninjas to choose from.

So why choose Randy?

It certainly took a while to decide.

The Nomicon was trying to find the right candidate. It knew the timeline wasn't right. But it needed the proper Ninja for the task.

So it started crossing out options as it saw them.

It couldn't be a Ninja who broke too many rules or abused their powers (The Ninja of 1978, the one who tried to create an army of mind controlled civilians and the Ninja of 1985, Mac Antfree, for... obvious reasons)

Nor could it be someone who didn't take their responsibilities seriously (Rebecca, the Ninja of 2003, who was removed prematurely came to mind.)

No one who refused to cooperate with others, so as the Ninja of 1904 (Tomioka Giyuu) didn't feel threated (The Ninja of 1956, she was so convinced that she could work alone that she refused to even try connecting to the Tengu. It was a shame. She would have loved Ninja Tengu fire...)

It also had to be someone from the future seeing as how the Nomicon couldn't send itself back in time, which removed 700 years worth of wonderful options.

The Nomicon needed someone of complete trust. (The Ninja of 1998, they were a known skeptic)

One friendly so as the Ninja of 1904 would trust them. (that removed the Ninja of 1927, he was mean-spirited but a respectable and fierce Ninja)

Someone close to or younger than the Ninja of 1904 in age so that the Ninja of 1904 was not looked down upon. (Cross out the Ninja of 1964 and the Ninja of 1943)

The Ninja of 2005 was almost chosen but... he was too prideful. (The incident with the two children did not go unnoticed)

The Nomicon didn't want to admit it, but it was stumped. No one was right for the right fit for the mission.

That is... until the Ninja of 2013.

Randy Cunningham wasn't the Nomicon's first choice. Far from it actually.

The kid was impulsive and selfish at times causing the Nomicon to have to 'ground' him from being the Ninja more than once. (A phrase that First Ninja loved to use ever since he found out what it meant.)

But that was until Randy did something that hadn't been done before.

He proved the Nomicon wrong.

The Nomicon didn't even know that was possible.

The Nomicon refused to admit the fact that it was proud.

Proud of the information it carried.

Of the Ninjas it trained.

So, when Randy proved that sometimes it was okay to trust a single individual (and that children need at least one companion) the Nomicon refused to admit it was wrong.

But then First Ninja mentioned Plop Plop.

And how could the Nomicon not remember that insufferable man. First Ninja's best friend and trusted advisor.

Which in turn made the Nomicon remember its own trusted advisor.

Yeah... the Nomicon was wrong.

But that revaluation is what made the Nomicon change its mind.

Tomioka Giyuu was a lonely man with a lonely life.

Partially at the fault of the Nomicon itself.

He needed someone to connect with.

And... Randy was very easy to connect with. (The Nomicon and First Ninja were already dreading the day that Randy would retire. That kid was pure adoption bait!)

The mission would take anywhere from a few months to a year.

Randy Cunningham certainly needed the experience to become a stronger ninja. (And the Nomicon could admit the amazing potential Randy had)

Randy was the perfect choice.

And with Randy's trusted companion (Howard, of which the Nomicon barely tolerated), Randy would have an alibi for when he returned.

So after a century of searching, the Nomicon finally had its chosen Ninja.

And he would have the reward of a lifetime should he succeed.