49 - in another life

.

CARA'S POV

.

I tried to run away, knowing Luke would be coming after me and yes he did.

I already felt tears in my eyes as I did, and I soon slowed down, just feeling completely weak.

Luke took my arm in between his fingers as he turned me around.

He was shocked when he saw me crying as I tugged my arm out of his grasp.

"Let go of me.'' I whispered.

"I can't." His voice came out soft as well, making me tense. I knew what he meant.

"Luke I'm so tired of constantly going back and forth. It's either you leave for good, anf not come back or stay for good." My voice cracked as I held a hand to my forehead frustratedly. "I need you to leave. You boys have been nothing but a distraction to all of us, haven't you noticed?"

I was hesitant with my words, knowing I was lying because just a few days ago I was crying about losing Luke and how empty it actually felt without him.

"Haven't you noticed?"

"What? What haven't I noticed." I breathed out, closing my eyes.

In that moment he neared me and took my wrists into his hands.

My eyes shoot open as his blue ones met mine.

"You and me? We're what keeps our bands sane."

"You're insane." I hit back, turning away.

"Listen to me for a second Cara." He pleaded.

"I gave you way too many chances. You blew every single one."

"I just want you to look at me while I say this." Luke says slowly and his voice was what somehow urged my subconscious to turn my face right back and look him in the eyes.

I felt tears prick at my eyes as I glance at him, a blank yet empty expression on my face.

"What could you possibly say to make this all better?" I whispered. I almost wished he'd say something that would solve every single problem we had but I've lost all hope. It wasn't possible.

"This isn't going to help." He said, his hands never releasing the grip from my wrists. "But I will always be here for you. I don't care if you think I should go, and I don't care if you never want to see my face again. It's always the band first I get it, but.. Maybe you're the exception. And maybe, I don't care if I kissed you. Right now."

"Luke--"

I was cut off when I felt his lips meet mine gently.

"Luke." I murmured against his lips, but I couldn't get myself to pull away.

I kissed him back. And before I knew it, the sensation of his lips against mine left.

"I'm sorry. I.. I don't know what else to say but that. If one day you change your mind I'll always be here." He nods, smiling weakly.

He was letting go. I thought he came here to change my mind, but it seemed he had already given up on ever getting me back.

And that's just how it was supposed to be.

Dramatic, I know. I even thought this was way too dramatic. But those four boys were toxic to us, basically. It wasn't healthy for our friendships, nor was it healthy for our band's reputation.

If they weren't the band we had went against all this time, it honestly would be so easy. I actually imagined a life where we weren't in bands, and maybe me and Luke met in a different life.