61 - a love like war

JENNA'S POV

.

Michael and I sat on the sidewalk after our trip to go play some mini golf. I had to admit, he really did put up a competition but I think we all knew who the winner was going to be anyway.

Me, obviously.

"Jen, could I ask you something?"

"Shoot for the moon." I smiled at my saying as I stared at the bright crescent in the sky.

"Um.. Well, about Cara--"

"I don't really want to talk about the girl who practically lead me on this entire time and left me." I cut him off, rolling my eyes at the mention of her.

"But you know you can't run away from it forever. You're in a band with her." He chuckled lightly.

But he was right.

I couldn't avoid her for long.. But then again, I honestly don't know if it would be the same around her.

"I don't know what to do, honestly." I mumbled.

"Well, maybe apologize to her?"

I laughed. Actually, laughed. "Yeah, more like the other way around. I'm not apologizing for something that wasn't even my fault to begin with."

Michael was silenced after what I said which was eerily weird.

"Don't.. Do that." I blurted as he glanced at me questioningly.

"Don't do what?" His eyes slightly widened, alarmed from my saying.

I smiled weakly. "Don't feel sorry for me."

"I don't." He shrugged but then shook his head. "Actually, I do.. But not in the way that you think."

"What way?"

"Well, I'm just sorry it had to hurt so much." He pouted slightly, staring at his lap as he traces his fingers on his jeans.

"Well, it doesn't. Not so much as a few hours ago." I sighed.

There was a silence that followed, Michael slightly swaying as he seemed to be in deep thought.

"What's going on in that emo head of yours?" I smirked a little as he playfully sent a glare to me.

"I don't know, can you believe it? That all this happened just because I met you in geometry class, and because you said you liked my Nirvana shirt?" He shrugged. "It seems crazy.''

I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it's been crazy." I chuckled.

"Do you think it'll ever be normal? You know, with us guys and you girls?" He asked nervously as he still avoided looking into my eyes.

"Michael." I whispered, staring at him as I pressed my lips into a thin line.

"Y-yeah--"

As soon as he had looked up, I took that chance to take his slightly scruffy face into my hands as my lips planted on his.

It wasn't a messy kiss, nor was it short and meaningless, it was.. Right. Just in the moment.

I pulled away, shocked by my bold mood as I felt my cheeks heat.

"Sorry." I murmured, furrowing my eyebrows. "I-I don't know why I just did that."

"I'm not really complaining. I've been waiting for that to happen all night." He said, but followed by cursing as he closed his eyes. "I mean--"

"You were?" I cut him off, knowing Michael, he'd start rambling on.

"You know what, hell yeah I was. It's probably the shittiest thing to say to someone while they're going through heartbreak, but I'm fucking in love with you. I can't really do anything about that now, can I?"