12: When he watches you with kids

Obviously in the original series, there wasn't any mention of the Lake family having any relatives so I decided to make my own one here. 

Y/n's pov:

"Aunt Diane, how are you?" Jim greeted as he opened the door.

"I'm alright Jim, have you seen your sister anywhere?" Aunt Diane asked. When I heard my name, I immediately got off my computer and went to the front door.

"I'm here, what's up?" I asked.

"Listen, I hope it isn't a bother for you two to babysit my sweet Lia here." Aunt Diane asked. My cousin Lia is the cutest. Every year when my relatives gather for New Year's Eve, I'm the first person Lia runs up to when she sees me.

"Sure, we can handle her." Jim agreed. Like what I said, Lia immediately ran up to me as she hugged my legs.

"Auntie y/n." Lia greeted.

"Hi, princess Lia." I smiled, picking her up. "My, you've grown up so much baby." I commented.

"Thanks guys, say hi to your mother for me." Aunt Diane smiled. "Now Lia, listen to Auntie y/n and Uncle Jim alright." She told Lia as the little girl nodded before leaving.

"Okay, what do you want to do now?" Jim asked.

"Do you think you can watch her for a bit, I'm almost done with my assignment." I requested.

"Sure, they call me 'Jim the Baby Handed'." Jim joked as I chuckled.

"I want ice cream." Lia requested.

"Later baby, I have some work to finish up. Go play with Uncle Jim first alright?" I placed Lia down as she ran up to Jim.

~

"Phew, that took long enough." I stretched my arms and submitted my assignment before closing my laptop. Suddenly, someone came into my room and jumped onto my bed.

"Sorry sis, she's super high right now." Jim apologized, trying to catch the hyper child.

"Hey, it's alright, I'll take it from here." I stood up. "Who wants ice cream?" I asked. The hyper Lia soon calmed down and pointed at herself.

"Come on, I know this place with the best ice cream." I picked Lia up as she exclaimed, "Let's go!"

"We're going to the café Douxie works at, right?" Jim asked.

"Well, if you're not down for ice cream, I'll just bring Lia along." I replied. "Besides, doesn't he know that you and Claire are a thing and won't flirt with Claire anymore?" I continued.

"That is true. Alright, alright, I'm coming along too then. I could have some ice cream right now." Jim replied as the three of us left the house. As we entered the café, the three of us were greeted by Archie who rubbed himself against my legs.

"Kitty." Lia pointed.

"Yes, he's a nice kitty." I said, stroking Archie. "Wanna touch it?" I asked. Lia nodded as she extended her hand out slowly to pet Archie.

"Gentle, gentle. That's it, good girl." I turned to Lia. "Jim, one hot matcha latte and a waffle ice cream." I looked up at Jim.

"And the ice cream flavour?" Jim asked.

"Strawberry and you can choose the second flavour." I replied, taking my credit card out so Jim could use to pay for everything.

"She seems to like Arch, huh." I looked up to see Douxie towering over Lia and me.

"Yeah. Jim and I are on babysitting duties today. She's my younger cousin and she absolutely loves me." I explained. "Lia, say hi." I turned to Lia who was still petting Archie.

"Lia. Lia, say hi to this nice big brother here." I stopped Lia from petting Archie and carried her. Lia waved at Douxie as he chuckled.

"Your name is Lia, isn't it?" Douxie asked as she nodded.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful girl." Douxie commented. There goes his sweet talk again, and with a 6-year-old now?

"Douxie. She's only 6." I nudged him.

"What, can't I say she's cute?" Douxie questioned as I chuckled.

"Kidding. Come on Lia, let's go wash our hands before we have our ice cream." I insisted as I went to the bathroom with Lia to wash our hands after touching Archie.

Douxie's pov:

"Here's your chocolate milkshake. Bon Appetit." I placed a customer's order on the table as I walked back to put down the tray before cleaning up the counter top. The door opened and there she was again. Arcadia sure is a small town. This time she's here with Jim and another little girl? She never said she had a younger sister.

"Yes, he's a nice kitty." Y/n said as she proceeded to pet Archie. The little girl did the same as I watched them from a far. Y/n turned to Jim and told him something before handing her card to him. Jim then proceeded to the counter, waving at me at the same time when he saw me. I walked up to y/n and spoke, "She seems to like Arch, huh."

"Yeah. Jim and I are on babysitting duties today. She's my younger cousin and she absolutely loves me." Y/n explained. That answers my question on whether she has another younger sibling other than Jim. "Lia, say hi." She turned to her cousin who was still petting Archie. Nice name for a girl.

"Lia. Lia, say hi to this nice big brother here." Y/n carried the little girl as she waved at me shyly. My heart exploded because of the cuteness as I chuckled. Y/n would definitely make a great mother in the future.

"Your name is Lia, isn't it?" I asked as she nodded.

"Beautiful name for a beautiful girl." I commented.

"Douxie. She's only 6." Y/n nudged me.

"What, can't I say she's cute?" I asked as y/n chuckled. Is complimenting people, younger people, kids a crime now?

"Kidding. Come on Lia, let's go wash our hands before we have our ice cream." Y/n told Lia as the two girls headed to the bathroom. As I watched the two girls head back to their table, I couldn't help but watch how y/n and Jim treated their younger cousin once in a while.

~

"See you next time Douxie." Jim smiled as he, y/n and Lia were about to leave.

"Say bye." Y/n told Lia as Lia waved to me. She's too adorable. I waved to Lia as y/n asked, "So, are you still coming to my party?"

"I might not be able to make it. I have to cover for someone else on that day" I replied. Y/n sulked as I continued, "But, if I end early, I might be able to swing by for a while."

"Really? Thank you so much! Just try not to miss out the cake cutting session." Y/n replied before she pulled me in for a hug. Woah, that was new.

"This is why you're considered my guy best friend." She said.

"It's nothing, really." I said, hugging her back. As we separated, y/n smiled at me one more time before leaving. I definitely can't hide my feelings anymore.

"That girl seems to have interest in you." One of my co-workers Matteo commented.

"She's my best friend, how could I fall for her?" I asked.

"Maybe you do actually like her. Honest answer, do you like her?" Matteo asked. I was silent, should I tell him I like her or not? God, but that feeling in me urged me to answer...

"Yeah. I think I'm in love with her." I confessed.