Chapter 21: Silver Wolf, Part 3

On the door to the arcade, there was a notice, saying that the arcade was closed for the day. Seems like the owner had some important business to tend to.

Back in her home, the owner prepared the bathtub with hot water, and threw the little girl inside it. She was going to help wash off the dirt on the little girl, but she was swimming around the bathtub so much that all it did was get the owner's clothes wet. Then, the owner went and bought some scissors to cut some of the little girl's hair, but the little girl couldn't help but run around the house. After that, she put on some tv and the little girl sat very still as the owner cut, trimmed, and tidied up the little girl's hair.

Next to the owner's bed, there was a small comfy mattress with a nice, warm blanket on it. Then, the owner closed the lights to the bedroom, and both of them went to bed. The owner also made sure to turn off her alarm clock as to not wake the little girl up from her sleep, since she deserves every single second of it. Then, after the longest day of her life, the owner closed her eyes and slowly drifted into slumber.

The owner woke up naturally and felt extremely refreshed for once. She hadn't felt that way in a long time. She checked her alarm clock, and it was a quarter past 7. Seems like her body clock's somewhat on time. However, as she got her upper body out of bed, she noticed there was something else on the bed with her. It was the little girl, sleeping near the edge of the bed. She was hugging the blanket that the owner prepared for her. The owner smiled and decided to lay back on the bed until the little girl wakes up.

After a while, the little girl would occasionally be forced to help out around the arcade, although she was promised free tokens after she finished working. To keep her hair from obstructing her work, the owner tied a ponytail for the little girl with a blue bow tie, almost like bunny ears. She'd sweep the floor, dust off the arcade machines, and sell the kids some snacks at the snack booth by the counter, all the while holding on to her signature deadpan face. The little girl was banned from using the exchange counter though, ever since she stole nearly all the arcade tokens and stored it behind her pillow for personal use, and she got found out almost immediately.

The owner also changed her arcade opening hours to more reasonable ones, starting from 12 pm to 11 pm. The hired worker that used to cover for the owner found another better paying job, and he bid farewell to both the owner and the little girl. It was a bittersweet farewell, but it all turned out okay for everybody. Since then, the arcade's financial situation had been a little bit better, and the owner and the little girl could get by just fine now. However, they still didn't earn enough to have the little girl enrolled into school, not to mention the legal fundings required to solve the problem of her not having a legal name yet.

One night, The owner and the little girl were watching TV by the couch, with the little girl on the owner's lap. It was a documentary about some creatures that could be seen on almost every planet in the universe, and the animal shown on screen right now are wolves. On the TV, a scene of a family of wolves consisting the father, the mother, and a couple of baby wolves were shown. After a while, the TV documentary slowly showed the decline of the number of wolves in the pack of family wolves, leaving only one left to wander the world. The little girl seems fascinated by them, so the owner gave her a more thorough explanation.

"Those are wolves, darling. They mostly live in packs, just like the people here in Rainbow City. Sometimes, if a wolf leaves a pack, or if something were to happen to their pack, the wolf would go about the world by themselves, searching for another pack to be in. These are called 'lone wolves'. Lone wolves tend to not survive on their own, so its best for them to search for another pack, and search for them quickly."

The little girl got out of the owner's lap, crawled towards the TV, and pointed at the lone wolf, howling at the moon.

"Lone. Wolf." The little girl spoke her first words, or at least the first words that the owner had heard from the little girl's mouth. The owner was surprised, and happiness was circulating inside her heart. She went towards the little girl and crouched beside her, patting her head.

"Yes, dear, that's a lone wolf! You got it right!"

 But then, the little girl turned her head towards the owner, and pointed at herself.

"Lone. Wolf."

After realizing what she meant, the owner, witnessing such a heartbreaking scene, had tears in her eyes. She hugged the little girl so tightly that night, partially to embrace the little girl to ease her pain, but also to keep the little girl from seeing the owner crying. The owner was about to bawl her eyes out, but held it in for the sake of the little girl.

"Yes, dear. You are a lone wolf aren't you?" Tears kept coming out of the owner's eyes, despite her efforts to keep them in.

"But you're not alone anymore, okay?!"

 Tears start to well up in the little girl's eyes as well.

"You're... not alone anymore."