Chapter 24: Rescue Mission

Both you and Silvie now had a worried expression on your faces. After a little while, Rewind got back into frame, continuing his monologue.

"Such a sweet old lady. I mean, I've only met her for about five minutes but still, I could tell that about her just from our conversations alone." He caressed his knife across the arcade owner's face. Then, Rewind pushed the camera away and directed it onto his face.

"Alright, genius hacker, gamer, whatever you wanna call yourself. I'm gonna give you an HOUR, no- 30 MINUTES, to show yourself on ANY camera in this city. If you don't do that within that time frame, THIS. LADY. DIES. And don't bother trying to hack the cams yourself, I've installed my very own antivirus specifically just to prevent you from backdooring me. 30 MINUTES, SILVER WOLF. Better come out your hidey hole~" The livestream went offline, and the floating screens disappeared.

You were still worried about the wellbeing of the arcade owner, but Silvie was already prepared, tapping away at her floating screens as she was walking towards the exit. You noticed and followed her from behind.

"Hmph. Weird little one-eyed freak. Captures one hostage and thinks he's the Jonkler from Man: Ham Aslume."

You raised your eyebrow. "You got a plan?"

"I do, but I'm gonna need you to trust me."

You smiled. "Since when have I never?"

She smiled back at you.

At a back alley near the slumps, Rewind turned off the broadcast, and turned to face one of his right-hand man. He was standing guard behind the tied up arcade owner.

"How was that?"

"Splendid work, boss! You definitely made that hacker girl quiver in her boots!"

"Really? It didn't feel too... comedic? I really cranked up the 'crazy' for this one."

"You did great boss, 100 points, guaranteed!"

Then, as Rewind was basking in the glory from his right-hand man's praises, another lackey that was watching the security cameras around the city called out to him.

It was Silver Wolf, and she has appeared on a security camera, just like Rewind told her to.

"Alright, Rewind. I'm here. What're you gonna do now?" She blew some of her bubble gum.

Rewind pressed a button that allowed him to speak through the camera's speaker.

"Aaaah, if it isn't the famous hacker girl herself, in the flesh! Glad you showed up, but do me just one small favor..." Rewind got ready to press another button.

"...Stand veeeeery still for me please." Rewind pressed the button, and the built in cannon installed in the security camera fired at Silver Wolf, so powerful that it obliterated parts of the floor around her. In hindsight, there's absolutely no way that Silver Wolf could've survived a hit from that thing. When the dust settled, Silver Wolf was not in sight, not even a small hint of her still left from the shot.

Rewind and his crew started to celebrate, as they have beaten the best hacker the world's ever seen. Suddenly, another lackey motioned for Rewind to come look at the cameras again, and on another camera that's miles away from the previous one, Silver Wolf was standing there, perfectly fine without a scratch.

"Wow, nice shot bozo. Bet I reeeeeally didn't see that coming."

"What the- How are you still alive?!"

"A hacker never reveals her tricks, especially to a sad excuse of a hacker." She pointed a thumbs down towards the security cameras.

Now Rewind was pissed. "What did you call me?!" He pressed the fire button again and shot at Silver Wolf, but it was as the same as before, Silver Wolf gone as the dust settles, and appearing at another camera further away from the previous one.

"I mean, let's face it. There's absolutely no way I'm being defeated by someone who calls himself 'Rewind', right? Hahahahaha, I'm feeling hilarious just thinking about it!"

"I MADE THAT NAME WHEN I WAS 12!!!!!"

Then, the same order of events kept repeating for quite some time, with Silver Wolf making Rewind madder and madder with each shot. Meanwhile, you were sneaking by to Rewind's hideout, which was at the back alley where you were captured before. You saw about 20-30 of Rewind's men all gathered around the area cheering him on, with Rewind standing by the camera monitors, being occupied by Silver Wolf's distraction. Next to the monitors was the arcade owner, tied up and muffled to a chair, still unconscious.

"Alright, let's do this." You mumbled underneath your breath.

You targeted the closest Rewind lackey you could find, and started punching him. After that, you punched the guy next to him, and continued punching. Then, as you got everyone's attention, you picked up a bat dropped by the lackey you just punched. You placed the bat on your shoulder, and with a taunting voice you said: "Come at me, bro."